(Topic ID: 261169)

System 80B booting issues

By JodyG

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JodyG.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi folks, I have a System 80B MPU that is giving me fits at the moment. Right now, there is no boot, no displays, couple inserts locked on, and GI lit up when I turn the power on. No solenoid thunking.

What I have done:
    Verify good 5v on the MPU
    Swapped MPU into a known good machine and had the same results, so I know it is the MPU.
    Daughter board has been reflowed previously and pressing on it does nothing when trying to boot. Also pressed on it with reset board plugged in.
    Reseated the ROM chips and also swapped in known good ROM chips and no change.
    None of the 6532's seem to be getting hot, as well as the Z11-14 IC's

I have been google searching for past threads, and I am not seeing much beyond what I have already done. I have had some issues with 6532's before...can the failure of one of U1/U4/U5/U6 cause the machine to not boot at all?

Thanks,
    Jody

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Where did you measure from? You must measure 5V on the MPU. I have had a few cases where the power supply puts out 5V but at the MPU the voltage is like 4.5V so the MPU doesn't boot. You can measure the capacitor nearest A1-J1.
    Also if you can, post some pictures of your MPU, front and back.
    If you don't have soldering skills or the good desoldering equipment, no worries. If that is the case I would recommend sending your board into someone who can troubleshoot it as well as socket the cpu, u4/5/6 chips.

I measured the voltage at the capacitor by A1-J1. I'll start with the U2/U3 continuity test and see if that shows any issues before go the Piggydeux route. Since that area has been heat cycled once before by someone else, I don't want to do it again and risk removing traces if I do not have to. I down a FR-300 and am comfortable doing good soldering work, I just don't want to start shotgunning good components.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Absolutely. And without a diagnostic tool like GPE's QuickScan80 (NLA) or PiniTech's PiggyDeux with Marco's test ROM, you are shooting in the dark. I have those tools and can take care of the board if you'd like.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

Thanks Chris! I actually just ordered the Piggydeux with Marco's ROM this morning and will give that a shot. This is like the 3rd time I could have used one of those, so I finally decided to just get one and be done with it.

#8 4 years ago

People love to rag about working on 80B's, but I would 100% rather work on an 80B MPU over a System 11 MPU. The traces are way more forgiving on the Gottliebs.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JodyG.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-80b-booting-issues?tu=JodyG and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.