New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 256426)

System 80B Arena background sound died...

By Oldschool77

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Oldschool77
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

So I bought an Arena last week that has worked just fine. It had the ground mods done already and has no acid damage. Well last night, just for bulletproofing sake I reflowed the power supply headers and cleaned the power supply pot (I normally replace, but don't have one on hand). I then adjusted the voltage the correct way....got a solid 5.01 with the cpu plugged in....BUT.....I NOW have no background sound/music (I have target sounds though), I have no led on the sound board, and Ydrom2 gets too hot to touch within about 15 seconds of power up! I checked all the voltages on the sound board connector against the manual and they are perfect. Also rechecked my power supply work and voltages and they are perfect. I have no idea how this happened, I didn't touch a single other thing. I've done this power supply reflow on a dozen other premier games in the past with no issues. Unfortunately I don't have another game to test this against at the moment. I do get a beep if I press the upper test button, but nothing from pressing the lower test button. And no led at all ever. Any thoughts?

#2 1 year ago

Don't know it it'll help, but sometimes the sound in my Raven cuts out (all sounds) & wiggling A1J1 causes them to come back. Gotta re-pin that one.

#3 1 year ago

I had very similar problems on my Raven until I did the ground mod on ALL of the boards in the back box.

#4 1 year ago

Thanks guys!! Do you think grounds would cause the Ydrom2 to get super hot too?

#5 1 year ago

I had the sound go before but after re flowing and cleaning voltage adj pot its worked flawless. if it worked before you messed with it than anything you have unplugged or touched you have to look at that, check voltage to sound board.

#6 1 year ago

Just checked my voltages again at A6 J1 ......pins 12 and 17 which are supposed to be ground are getting 13vdc on both! Pretty sure that's not good!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 299.00
Displays
Boston Pinball Company
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 39.95
Electronics
Docent Electronics
$ 4.95
Apparel - Unisex
ULEKstore
$ 25.00
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
$ 25.00
Lighting - Led
Pinshakers
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 52.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 26.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 6.00
Electronics
APB Enterprises
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside