• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by nik2000
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hi all,
Have been having some issues with the sound on my Punk, hoping that I could get some help;

- The sound all works fine when I press 'test' on the sound & speech board, but there is no sound at all when playing the game.
- I tested the punk sound board in my spirit (uses the same board) and it was working during the game.

Some other notes:
- I reseated the connectors a couple times; I have not repined the connectors (I plan to).
- Voltages are good on the soundboard connector according to the manual.
- Fuses are ok.
- The board edges seem fine, although sanded down.

I'm not an expert, and not really comfortable soldering / checking chips etc.

Hopefully I've missed something simple

- alternatively maybe someone could tell me what I can do as a quick fix? (thinking possibly a new cpu?)

Thanks

#2 3 years ago

bump

#3 3 years ago

I'm no expert on sound boards but you say sound works with test button but not during game play. And your Spirit board works correctly in Punk. So my first thought would be to look on the schematic and see which chip receives the signals from the MPU to tell the sound board when to make sounds. I would first suspect that chip or the edge connectors leading to it. Just a thought to look at.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

I'm no expert on sound boards but you say sound works with test button but not during game play. And your Spirit board works correctly in Punk. So my first thought would be to look on the schematic and see which chip receives the signals from the MPU to tell the sound board when to make sounds. I would first suspect that chip or the edge connectors leading to it. Just a thought to look at.

Sorry - meant to say that the punk board works in the spirit, apologies if that was unclear

Appreciate the help though

#5 3 years ago

Ahhh! That's a whole different story! Then we know your sound board is good. Has to be either the cables and/or molex connectors or the chip on the mpu that initiates the sounds. I think the Spirit MPU will work in the Punk. Switch your rom over and give the Spirit mpu a try in Punk. If you get sound during game play, then you definitely have a problem on Punks mpu. If not, look at connectors. Follow the sounds off the mpu, through the connectors, and to the sound board inputs checking for a loss of continuity along the way.

#6 3 years ago

If you prefer, you could also put the Punk MPU in Spirit and see if Spirit then loses its sound, confirming Punk's mpu has a bad component(s).
PS Spirit is a great game! I have one in my collection and would probably say it is the favorite of all my games!

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

Ahhh! That's a whole different story! Then we know your sound board is good. Has to be either the cables and/or molex connectors or the chip on the mpu that initiates the sounds. I think the Spirit MPU will work in the Punk. Switch your rom over and give the Spirit mpu a try in Punk. If you get sound during game play, then you definitely have a problem on Punks mpu. If not, look at connectors. Follow the sounds off the mpu, through the connectors, and to the sound board inputs checking for a loss of continuity along the way.

Thank you! that sounds good, will go ahead and try switching out the mpu first. Will get back in a couple days with progress.

- I'm a fan of the spirit as well, especially the art.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-80a-sound-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.