(Topic ID: 202978)

System 80 tilt issue....

By Michaelxwhite

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Let me start by saying that this issue confuses me... obviously. I just picked up a reasonably good condition Mars god of war from a great member on pinside. It functioned correctly there except the 3x bonus light would stay on. After moving the game to my house, when I would play, the game would stop playing background music and vocalized a "tilt" when going over any one of the top rollover lanes and subsequently cut all background sound from prom 1. So...I opened the coin door and looked at the tilt switches. The door tilt switch was permanently closed; so I adjusted it to stay open a little. This was done with the playfield in the upright position. Now, this is when it gets weird. Now when I put the playfield back down, all I get is attract mode vocals and lights. Nothing on the coin door besides the coin slot lights function. The red test button doesn't register, the coin switches don't register and obviously the start button doesn't work.

All connections seem good in the back box and under playfield as I checked. Could I have damaged the driver or mpu adjusting a simple tilt switch on the door with the playfield up or is it just coincidence and this system 80 didn't fair to well in the move? I'm thinking it could be a short as when the top lanes were rolled over it vocalized tilt and could still play minus background sound. But, now she won't even start up and all coils operated correctly; although, some would lose a little umpf during play if there was sounds and vocals at the same time.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Kind regards,

Michael

#2 6 years ago

I found a transistor under playfield that has a poor solder on it; basically, ground wire was soldered to transistor post and bracket = not good. Probably a side issue.

#3 6 years ago

These Gottlieb coin door slam switch "tilt" contacts must be closed at all times. Some solder the switch shut, or even modify a circuit board so the switch is always closed. Displays should light up with flickering zeros if you power up the game when the slam switch is open.
Been a while, but a single stuck on lamp, your 3X Bonus lamp issue, is likely to be a bad transistor on the driver board.
Check out pinwiki.com for a good section of Gottlieb System 80 tips.
Here it is: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Slam_Switch_Modification

#4 6 years ago

Biffbar is right about the slam switch, it needs to be closed.

If the issue with the sound is only the voice saying "tilt", but game is operating and not tilting, then some of the sound signals are not getting from the cpu to the driver board, or from the driver board to the sound board. Check the connectors at A1J4 ( between cpu to driver) and at the driver board output connections A3J5 (sound 1, 2, 4,and A3J3 (sound 16). Also check the connector into the Sound board.

Do you have the game manual? How familiar are you working on System 80?

I tone all of the connections from the legs on the chip on the cpu (Z31) to the chip on the driver board (Z13) and from the Driver Board (Z13) to the Sound Board (U16), this method checks both the wiring and the connectors in one step, this checks the pathway for sounds S1, S2, S4, and S8. You have to have the circuit diagrams to see which legs of the chip to test from and to. The pathway for sound S16 is different, it goes through the lamp matrix and is a bit more convoluted. Check out continuity for sounds S1, S2, S4 and S8 first and if you still have the problem, i can give you the layout of S16 and the chips and transistor to check for all of the sounds.

#5 6 years ago

Unfortunately, I do not have the game manual, but I have the manual for black hole. At any rate, when I get a manual, I will check your suggestions. I am fairly familiar with system 80 machines, I have a couple black holes already.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Michaelxwhite:

Unfortunately, I do not have the game manual, but I have the manual for black hole. At any rate, when I get a manual, I will check your suggestions. I am fairly familiar with system 80 machines, I have a couple black holes already.

PM send....

#7 6 years ago

The manual for Black Hole will work, as board pin outs are the same.

Per your previous posts, the sound worked correctly before you moved it?
Problem is most likely the connectors

#8 6 years ago

Yes, the sound worked correctly before the move. I've checked the connections; perhaps, it's just time for new pins in those connectors. At this age in the system 80s life span, new pins for the connections are almost a necessity now a days. I will run through the diagnostic procedures outlined by you tehachapin above and report back my findings on Tuesday. My thanks to all involved!

#9 6 years ago

Fixed, one of the pins on connector a3j5 wasn't making a good connection. I bent each one, one at a time (I know it was risky, could of broke one). I finally got it; turns out after almost 40 years, the pins need a little live to make a solid connection with the board again. Thank you so much for your help! I'm just glad I didn't have to break out the iron and oscilloscope.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-80-tilt-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.