(Topic ID: 215770)

System 80 small transformer (Black Hole)

By CanadianGamer

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Just wondering what my options are for replacing the small transformer in my Gottlieb Black Hole, System 80.

Am I basically hooped? Or is there a solution out there for this? I've read about switching the displays out to the new LED displays and putting in a switching power supply, but I'm trying to keep it as original as possible. Thanks.

#2 5 years ago

Transformers do surface on occasion.

Are you sure the transformer is the source of the problem you are having?

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from CanadianGamer:

Just wondering what my options are for replacing the small transformer in my Gottlieb Black Hole, System 80.
Am I basically screwed? Or is there a solution out there for this? I've read about switching the displays out to the new LED displays and putting in a switching power supply, but I'm trying to keep it as original as possible. Thanks.

Do you happen to have the number off that transformer? I am not 100% sure if it is the same as other small transformers from other System 1 and System 80 machines. I might have one around but I would want to double check number before I say 100% for sure.

#5 5 years ago

Thanks very much for the replies!

It's Gottlieb B-19548 model number. The old transformer melted, so I'm assuming it's toast.

I'll check that link you posted and see about getting a transformer off of him. If you don't mind checking your stock as well too-many-pins, that would be great.

Thanks!

#6 5 years ago

Gottlieb B-19548 small transformer, if anyone has a solution I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

#7 5 years ago

I have a friend with a B-19325 transformer, and it almost looks like the voltages would work, except it has +4v DC offset, and the one I need B-19548 has a +5v DC offset.

I'm sure that means I can't use it... ?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

Do you happen to have the number off that transformer? I am not 100% sure if it is the same as other small transformers from other System 1 and System 80 machines. I might have one around but I would want to double check number before I say 100% for sure.

Thanks for all your help! To note, I'm getting a B-19550-4 from too-many-pins which is also listed on the schematics for Black Hole as a 230v 50/60hz transformer. The B-19458 is a 60hz 115volt transformer, but I'm guessing I can use the 60hz 110volt line on the 19550 for North America. It also has 120volt... would that be too much? Better to go with 110? Cheers!

#9 5 years ago

I have a set of transformers out of a US BH, that I swapped out to convert the machine to 240V

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from sparkup:

I have a set of transformers out of a US BH, that I swapped out to convert the machine to 240V

Hey thanks. If for some reason this transformer doesn't work with BH, I'll contact you about yours.

2 weeks later
#11 5 years ago

New transformer is in, just have to install the extra fuse for the transformer so hopefully it doesn't melt down again, check over all the wiring again and fire it up!

I'll let you know how it goes, thanks again too-many-pins!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-80-small-transformer-black-hole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.