(Topic ID: 184075)

Pink Panther System 80 Self Test question.

By Yeastlord

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Yeastlord
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Running the self test on my Pink Panther. Test 16 (Lamp test).
Several sets of lights cycle on and off as expected then one of my top kickers clicks on 16 times (I think) then locks in the up position. Any ideas?

Also is there any more detailed info about what the self test behaviors indicate other than the manual?

Thanks for the help.

#2 7 years ago

The topkicker is probably controlled by a transistor under the playfield. This transistor is controlled by a lamp transistor at the driverboard. The number of transistors which drive the coils is limited at system 80 driverboards. So Gottlieb used a few transistors which usualy drive lamps to drive a transistor mounted under the playfield which drives a coil. These coils will fire during the lamp test procedure.

#3 7 years ago

According to the manual Lamp 8 controls the left captive hole and Lamp 9 controls the right captive hole.
Both utilize a transistor under the playfield.

Sometimes a hole kicker arm stays up because there is no ball to hit.
Then the plunger tends to stick to the coil stop magneticly.
A slight touch of your finger or tap on the playfield will release the plunger again.
If not you need to check the mechanism.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Sometimes a hole kicker arm stays up because there is no ball to hit.
Then the plunger tends to stick to the coil stop magneticly.
A slight touch of your finger or tap on the playfield will release the plunger again.
If not you need to check the mechanism.

This coil for this kicker seems to stay engaged in the up position consistently after 16 rounds. I can't push it down with my finger. I have to shut down the game to get it to release.

#5 7 years ago

Is this a working game ?

Do all the CPU controlled lamps flash on and off? Maybe at same time as the kicker.

I would concentrate on the shoot again insert as that lamp should not come on in attract but will in lamp test.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Is this a working game ?
Do all the CPU controlled lamps flash on and off? Maybe at same time as the kicker.
I would concentrate on the shoot again insert as that lamp should not come on in attract but will in lamp test.

Gottlieb does not flash all lamps together like Bally.
They go one-by-one in sequence.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Gottlieb does not flash all lamps together like Bally.
They go one-by-one in sequence

Yes correct, I think that's why I mentioned to look at shoot again lamp. I can't remember all this stuff. Lol

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Is this a working game ?

This is not a working game.
Almost none of the lights flash. None at the same time as the kicker.

I'll take a look at shoot again light, but I'm almost sure it's not coming on.

#10 7 years ago

I added the extra ground wire in the MPU to driver board harness.

I have not done the resistor mod, but I'll give it a try tomorrow.

The inside article is now on the top of my list.

Thanks for the suggestions.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Yeastlord:

This is not a working game.
Almost none of the lights flash. None at the same time as the kicker.
I'll take a look at shoot again light, but I'm almost sure it's not coming on.

Shoot again is coming on during the lamp test. Does that mean something?

Thanks!

1 month later
#12 6 years ago

So I figured out what was wrong. The answer is nothing. Nothing was wrong, I'm just an idiot.
The game needs 3 balls to go into play mode. I only had 2. I'm not kidding. I did the ground mods. Rebuilt the sound board and power supply. Replaced a bunch of bunk lamp sockets. Put in a new battery. Re-did all of the molex connectors.
Upshot is the game is working end to end and is probably good for a while.

Lessons learned.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-80-self-test-question?hl=yeastlord and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.