20191215_180522 (resized).jpg
20191213_160605 (resized).jpg
20191213_160513 (resized).jpg
6-digit-display (resized).jpg
b (resized).png
a (resized).png
Untitled (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I have a great deal of respect for your knowledge and I look forward to lending a hand to others when I'm ready.

I am working on a #Black Hole that has a solid 8V (8.17) and 5V (4.99) output (with just J1 plugged in). The 42V (47.3) and 60V (65) outs are solid. Powering down and connecting J2 voltages remain the same. Powering down and then connecting J3 (A2J3) the low voltage is unaffected but the 60V drops to 47.3 and the 42V drops to 22.49.

My questions are:
1) The 47.3V and 65V are within range or do I have a weak Zener?
2) With the 47.3V and 65V falling to 22.49 and 47.3 respectively is this a normal voltage drop from the load or a problem in the power board or excessive load from a problem board down stream.

Thanks, Tom
Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

Any words on this would be greatly appreciated. @Black Hole

Tom

#3 4 years ago

Yeah it sounds like you have a problem downstream. With power off disconnect all displays and take your readings. Base readings.
Reconnected one display at a time, and never with power on. see what you get.

I'm assuming your displays are extremely dim or not functioning??

3 months later
#4 4 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Yeah it sounds like you have a problem downstream. With power off disconnect all displays and take your readings. Base readings.
Reconnected one display at a time, and never with power on. see what you get.
I'm assuming your displays are extremely dim or not functioning??

Correct no displays. By the way this is a first time powering this game up.

With just the Status Display (A5) connected I have the following readings on the power supply:
TP4) 4.99v
TP5) 8.10
TP1) 63.6
TP2) 45.6

The Status Display has a zero diplayed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I add any one of the 4 player displayes or the lower playfield display I get the following readings at the power supply:

TP4) 4.99v
TP5) 8.19
TP1) 44.1 - 52.9
TP2) 26.53 - 35.38

Non of the singly connected displays show any digets. If I plug them all in non of the displays function including the Status display. It drages the voltages way down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I could guess that all five displays are bad (but all 5 doesn't seem so likley). Can I test these or is it a CPU Boot issue or what? New to system 80. - Tom

a (resized).pnga (resized).pngb (resized).pngb (resized).png
#5 4 years ago

I doubt all the displays are bad, too. I couldn't link directly to it, but check out section 5.15.1 at Pinwiki's Gottlieb system 80 repair guide (click on section 5, then search for 5.15.1 in that section): https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80

Lots of good info there, hopefully it's something simple like a bad connector or something.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

I doubt all the displays are bad, too. I couldn't link directly to it, but check out section 5.15.1 at Pinwiki's Gottlieb system 80 repair guide (click on section 5, then search for 5.15.1 in that section): https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80
Lots of good info there, hopefully it's something simple like a bad connector or something.

Well what I did find was with the player one display plugged in I get 59.9 vdc between pins 17-19 & 5.54 vac between pins 15 & 16. I did notice that when I power off the machine player 1 display flashed for a millisecond.

With acceptable voltages present it would seem ALL the segment drivers are not getting the proper signal to fire. This would lead me to believe there is a problem in the Control Board. Any thoughts?

6-digit-display (resized).jpg6-digit-display (resized).jpg
#7 4 years ago

Could be the control board, could be a bad connection/connector. Have you replaced any of the edge connectors to the control board?

The pinwiki page has lots of useful troubleshooting info--just jump down to section 5.15.1 and follow the instructions.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Could be the control board, could be a bad connection/connector. Have you replaced any of the edge connectors to the control board?
The pinwiki page has lots of useful troubleshooting info--just jump down to section 5.15.1 and follow the instructions.

No, I did a continuity test out to the displays. All is good there. I did just pull the board and found a modification that has been done and one of the wires has come off. I have no way of telling where it went with any certainty. Anybody have any ideas as to what repair was being done? I'm assuming it has somthing to do with the segment driver signals out to the displays. - Tom

20191213_160605 (resized).jpg20191213_160605 (resized).jpg20191213_160513 (resized).jpg20191213_160513 (resized).jpg
#9 4 years ago

Look what I found under magnification on the flip side of the chip that has just the one wire connected to it. I think I know where the loose wire goes. They cliped off both the legs where the wires were jumped to/from.
20191215_180522 (resized).jpg20191215_180522 (resized).jpg20191213_160605 chip (resized).jpg20191213_160605 chip (resized).jpg

#10 4 years ago

Is the cut leg right under the 3 printed on the chip look like it's touching the leg to the right of it under the printed zero of the chip?

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from tcw16505:

Anybody have any ideas as to what repair was being done?

Looking at the schematics, it seems like the logic inverter between pins 10 and 11 of that Z16 inverter IC (where the two pins are cut) may have gone faulty, so someones disconnected those pins and used a spare logic inverter in the Z27 inverter chip at pins 8 and 9.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Looking at the schematics, it seems like the logic inverter between pins 10 and 11 of that Z16 inverter IC (where the two pins are cut) may have gone faulty, so someones disconnected those pins and used a spare logic inverter in the Z27 inverter chip at pins 8 and 9.

Impressive.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Is the cut leg right under the 3 printed on the chip look like it's touching the leg to the right of it under the printed zero of the chip?

It looks close from this angle but theres about 3/64th gap. I'll be powering this up in just a few minutes. Hope it will work.

#14 4 years ago

Nothing...

2 weeks later
#15 4 years ago

Well I had an old control board and plugged it in and it booted.

Attract Mode:
All voices seem to be working when in attract mode but none in game mode.
All standard and controlled lighting seems to work on both fields. Back glass also but chaser lights are dim and very fast.
Displays. 1st and 2nd player only show one’s (111,111 & cycle to 1,111). 3 and 4 player display show what is pictured so again segments are missing (Control Board malfunction?). Lower Playfield display and Credit/Ball in Play displays are not lit during Attract Mode.

Game Play:
1st Player Display only shows partial segments when scoring. Credit shows only a 1 as does Ball. Its blank when advanced past the number 1.
No voice in game mode.
No Pop Bumpers, lamps are lit and solenoid voltage is available.
Yellow Targets, lit but no points or sounds
Drop Targets, only C&K make sound and score in BLACK and none of HOLE. They only reset on next balls start.
Front Left Bumper makes no sound and no points if it gives any.
Spinner makes no sound and no points if it gives any.
Gravity Tunnel Roll Over (to power up lower player field) does not function (leaf switch is ok).
Last picture is of it trying to show a score while playing.

Questions
Are the display issues all from the Control Board? I suppose these are chip &/or transistor issues. Any idea on how to determine which for which segment. I have a logic probe and a DMM on hand.
Would the fast mooving and dim back board chase lights be due to a weakened capacitor?
Seeing how none of the poppers what to work and only light up I can't imagine all their driver boards are bad and they do have the needed coil voltage available. I just assumed the poper contact came in and fired the individual driver boards.
The missing scoring of targets is a function of the Driver Board? Any idea of the mapping so that I can replace the needed chip &/or transistor.
Are the sounds driven by the sound board alone or is the driver board involved as well?

Thanks for your help. Lots to consider. - Tom

20191230_180226 (resized).jpg20191230_180226 (resized).jpg20200101_235103 (resized).jpg20200101_235103 (resized).jpg20191230_180210 (resized).jpg20191230_180210 (resized).jpg20191230_180205 (resized).jpg20191230_180205 (resized).jpg20200101_234600 (resized).jpg20200101_234600 (resized).jpg
#16 4 years ago

I found a couple of videos that were both a good review and took me further.

Logic Probe

CPU Logic Basics

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from tcw16505:

While looking for a 1982 Gottlieb Parts Catolog PDF on line I found a 1978 if anyone needs one. My surch continues...
gottlieb-1978-parts-catalog

Have you contacted Steve Young at PBR, he may have them and they're not listed. You could order the manual for your game as it will list part#'s.

Some if not all of your segment problems are chip related in all likelihood. I have system80 in both my Gottliebs but yours is a system80b correct?

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

I have system80 in both my Gottliebs but yours is a system80b correct?

Black Hole is a System 80 just like yours. I ordered some checks so I can again do business with Steve Young’s PBR.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from tcw16505:

Black Hole is a System 80 just like yours. I ordered some checks so I can again do business with Steve Young’s PBR.

You can use money orders. I didn't know it was a BH you were working on. There is a ton of info on this site about BH problems and solutions. Have you searched the thread?

#21 4 years ago

I have made a lot of progress. Mostly with Transistors and edge connectors. The three glaring issues at present are the displays, the poppers and one of the lower play field drop targets won't reset.

The displays malfunction in pairs so I'm assuming this is some failed chips. I need to see which ones those are and how to check them with a logic probe.

The poppers, I jumped the ground from each popper driver board connector and placed it on the Transistor case the it fires. So the ground and voltage is present yet the board doesn't fire on its own when the popper contact is closed. I need to look at the print for this and figure where the failure is seeing none of the poppers function.

The drop targets not resetting are the yellow ones on the lower play-field. They reset fine yesterday. I grounded its transistor on the main driver board and it works fine but will not reset on its own. I need to understand what tells it to use the reset coil.

1 week later
#22 4 years ago

In the meanwhile I wanted to get back after those mising digits on the displays. I replaced 7448's, Z19, Z21, Z23. I have a lingering problems on the bonus display for the lower playfield and the indicator 4 digit display. They are both missing segment C on numbers 3 and 7 only. Anyone know if this could be an issue with Z22, a 74175?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-80-power-supply-correct-voltage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.