• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by sparky672
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 months ago

System 80 question here.

On connector J1 coming into the power supply what would cause low voltage on the 60 volt AC pins? Pins 7 and 8. I should be getting 60 volts and I’m getting 4.5 volts.

The game has a good fuse, bridges are new/good, and the filter cap is new/good.

#2 10 months ago

are you sure your meter is on AC not DC?

if it is go back to the bottom board before the fuse and try there but it sounds like its not.

#3 10 months ago

Another thing to look at is fuse clips. They get tarnished and loose and act like a resistor. Easy test is they get hot.
Wiredoug is right about making sure you measure them right too.

#4 10 months ago
Quoted from pinballrebel:

On connector J1 coming into the power supply what would cause low voltage on the 60 volt AC pins? Pins 7 and 8. I should be getting 60 volts and I’m getting 4.5 volts.

I would say that's impossible. (check your meter is set to AC volts)

Without 60 VAC going to A2, all displays would be dead. Are they?

So what's the actual problem that caused you to investigate the voltage coming in at A2-J1, pins 7 & 8? What voltages did you read when you checked TP1 and TP2 on the A2 Power Supply?

#5 10 months ago

Update, I think the fuse may have been marginal?

Yes I had the meter set to A/C lol

The fuse tested good in and out of circuit but replacing it seems to have cleared it up.

At any rate I now have one non working display out of four in the player three slot. I verified the display is good because I moved it to another slot. I have not high voltage on player four and indeed no continuity between the high voltage from that display to any of the other three. I would like to start by repinning that connector.

This gottlieb system 80 I’m working on has IDC connectors on the displays. How do I go about replacing those? I can’t seem to find an equivalent connector that uses crimped connectors.

Does anyone have a source?

1 week later
#6 9 months ago
#7 9 months ago

Yes, the punch-down style connector pins can be replaced with crimp-on and put back into the same plastic housing. See this post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-spider-man-tilt-immediately-after-power-on#post-7722389

• Single Sided Edge Connectors (KK 396, KK series 2478, KK 0.156”)
Molex 08-52-0072 (18-24 AWG)
Molex 08-52-0071 (reel strips)
https://www.molex.com/molex/products/part-detail/crimp_terminals/0008520072

Where two wires come to one pin, I recommend soldering the two wire into one wire, and then crimp the one. Other people claim to crimp both together, although this is not recommended by Molex as the crimp-ons are not designed for that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Saint Paul, MN
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.