• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2019-12-08-06-40-54 (resized).png
HH attract mode (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Good day. Had this game for a couple of years. This problem arose only recently.

Game plays and scores as it should, but . . .

in attract mode, playfield lights are not right. I'll try to provide as much info as possible.

Backbox lights dance and flash.
Attraction music plays.
All scoring displays and status display show proper data.
GI is on.
But:
Pop bumper lights are steady on (upper and main playfield).
Secret Passage light is steady on (main playfield).
One target spot light is steady on (upper playfield).
Lower playfield is all dark.

Lamp driver diagnostic test appears correct -- relay Q flashes Match, relay T flashes Tilt and pop bumpers and some lights on main and upper playfields alternate on and off.
Relay U test results in pop bumper lights to alternate on and off opposite to lower playfield and all upper and main playfield control lamps chase.

So, controlled lamps on playfied get power, but they are not activated in attract mode.
I have tons of info on backbox lighting, but nothing on attract mode lighting on playfield.

Attached is photo of playfield in attract mode. There is no activity, so I didn't bother with a video.

Recent changes:
inserted #313 bulbs so lower playfield has light.
replaced status display that had a burned out segment.
Replaced the odd incandescent #44 with LEDs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HH attract mode (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago
Quoted from bonsoo:

Recent changes:
inserted #313 bulbs so lower playfield has light.
replaced status display that had a burned out segment.
Replaced the odd incandescent #44 with LEDs.

Were things working properly before you made these changes?
-Mike

#3 1 year ago

Not 100% sure, but that is when I first noticed. Prior to that, I had reflowed the connector points on the CPU board to clear up some garbling and flashing in the displays. THe game has all ground mods done.

#4 1 year ago

Just curious if switch #30 is in the on position for attract mode. Incase it was overlooked. Would be nice if it's that quick and easy. Remember to shut off machine before making any adjustments.
-Mike

Screenshot_2019-12-08-06-40-54 (resized).png
#5 1 year ago

I would start with checking those relays for proper gaps and that they have clean contacts.

Perfectly acceptable to run a cleaning flexstone or file across them.

Can shoot a video of mine in attract mode if you like so notes can be taken.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from bonsoo:

Pop bumper lights are steady on (upper and main playfield).
Secret Passage light is steady on (main playfield).
One target spot light is steady on (upper playfield).
Lower playfield is all dark.
Lamp driver diagnostic test appears correct -- relay Q flashes Match, relay T flashes Tilt and pop bumpers and some lights on main and upper playfields alternate on and off.
Relay U test results in pop bumper lights to alternate on and off opposite to lower playfield and all upper and main playfield control lamps chase.
So, controlled lamps on playfied get power, but they are not activated in attract mode.

As someone suggested, check the attract mode dip switch.

Ignore the first insert on the upper playfield being on at times, its normal in attract mode if strange. I have noted it in several Haunted House videos and mine does it as well.

Here is video of mine in attract mode.

#7 1 year ago

Thank you, all. This is very helpful. I will report back.

#8 1 year ago

Success! Good old dip switch reliability. It was on, and in all likelihood, was on for the last 37+ years. A bit of rocking back and forth and all is as it should be. Just because something looks right doesn't mean it is right.

Thanks!

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from bonsoo:

Success! Good old dip switch reliability. It was on, and in all likelihood, was on for the last 37+ years. A bit of rocking back and forth and all is as it should be. Just because something looks right doesn't mean it is right.
Thanks!

Glad it was a quick easy solution to find.
Enjoy the machine, it's a challenging one.
-Mike

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside