• 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by NicoVolta
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sys80 grounds (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider otaku.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Thanks for the replies everyone but none of these responses deal with how to do the ground mods on aftermarket boards.

I think you're the one misunderstanding - the mods are not ON the boards, it's on the connectors to the boards, which are still obviously in place for the new boards too.

If there were a ground issue on the boards wouldn't you expect it to be fixed on the design of your brand new aftermarket boards?

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Sorry, my post above was not meant to be snarky in anyway, I was just trying to further the discussion in case anyone else has the same problem later on.
As I understand it, the original problem was that there was only a single connection between the cabinet ground and circuit board ground and this was located on the power supply. The ground path then ran through the connectors to the other boards, which is also problematic. The ground mods provide new connections between the ground plane of each of the other boards directly to the cabinet ground. I imagine that to ensure more reliable operation, the ground plane on each of the aftermarket boards still has to be connected directly to the cabinet ground, otherwise it is still dependent on the ground path through the connectors to the power supply. My question was where on each of the aftermarket boards can this connection be made, since they are surely different to the recommended connection points on the original boards.

No "snark" taken.

I've never seen this mod done before, but if you've done the connector mod with new pins you should be good to go, the other thing is really unnecessary as long as the connector is done and the other pins are re-pinned.

Linking the ground to the cabinet ground would just be another path to ground, nothing really "better" about it that what you already have. Perhaps it was an issue with the traces leading back to the connector not being beefy enough (I've seen this with arcade machines), and would assume it's fixed on the newer boards. No more preventative measures required, in my opinion!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider otaku.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-80-ground-mods-with-rottendog-and-ni-wumph-boards?tu=otaku and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.