You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2021-03-31 07.43.59 (resized).jpg
2021-03-30 18.39.45 (resized).jpg
2021-03-30 18.39.58 (resized).jpg
2021-03-30 18.39.50 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Isochronic_Frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

On a Pink Panther (6 digit) I have a single display that the h segment (the 1) lights up whenever the g (middle horizontal line) is lit. I followed the UDN6118 test instructions listed here: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#UDN6118_and_Other_Display_Logic_Chip_Failures on Z1 and everything was as expected. I also tested for shorts between pins 3 & 4 on the glass and 7 & 8 on the connector.
The problem moves with the display.
Anyone have any other ideas? The display doesn't show any evidence of shorted or broken filaments.

Following, I had a hell of a time with this too and I ended up replacing it with another display. Still have the old one incase someone figures it out some day!

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Chris Hibler helped me out on facebook but here is the answer:
I pulled Z1 as there really is only 2 places this issue can be since it moves with the display. I socketed Z1 and put it back in but with pin 11 pulled. This is the driver for the h segment. The logic being if the chip is shorted then the segment cannot be lit, if the segment is lit then the glass is shorted.
Put it in my Joker Poker to test and sure enough the segment was lit. Bad glass is the culprit.
[quoted image]

Good to know.
I’ll have to check but my glass is probably bad too. I’ll hang on to it because it is playable. It’s annoying to look at but it’s not like these displays are falling from the sky anymore

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Isochronic_Frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-80-display-extra-segment-lit?tu=Isochronic_Frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.