Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by CraigJam
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I am new to System 80 games and have a couple I am working on. The first is a 1980 Circus. I replaced the CPU with a Ni-wumpf and it appears to work great. I replaced corroded edge connectors as well. My issue is, upon power up a melody begins playing and never stops. I am not certain how these boards operate so I don’t know exactly where to start. The capacitors test fine and the voltages are sufficient at the sound board.

Has anyone had this specific problem?

Thanks for any help!

#2 2 years ago

Check the coin and start switches. Sounds like something is stuck

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

I will take a look. Thanks!

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from CraigJam:

I will take a look. Thanks!

Quoted from Cheddar:

I took out the coin mechs and checked switches and they are normal. If I remove “A3-J5” from the driver board the music goes away. Otherwise it stays on.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from CraigJam:

I took out the coin mechs and checked switches and they are normal. If I remove “A3-J5” from the driver board the music goes away. Otherwise it stays on.

A3J5 drives coils so that's to be expected.

Try this. Boot up with A1J6 (Switch Matrix) disconnected. If it still does it replace it and remove A1J5 (Cab Switches). If removing either of these makes it stop then there is a stuck switch somewhere. It would be time to pull A3J5 (for the quiet) and put the game in switch test so you can see what's active

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

A3J5 drives coils so that's to be expected.
Try this. Boot up with A1J6 (Switch Matrix) disconnected. If it still does it replace it and remove A1J5 (Cab Switches). If removing either of these makes it stop then there is a stuck switch somewhere. It would be time to pull A3J5 (for the quiet) and put the game in switch test so you can see what's active

I will try it tonight. I appreciate your help!

#7 2 years ago

Likely a silly question but is it playing like it's in attraction mode? Have you looked at your dip switch settings

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Likely a silly question but is it playing like it's in attraction mode? Have you looked at your dip switch settings

I was wondering if settings could be involved. I have a Ni-wumpf board so the settings aren’t like the original CPU. The sound board has two switches on it. One of them make the sound change to a pulsing tone, the other has no effect. If I do a sound test on the game the only sound I hear is the melody.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-80-constant-melody-on-power-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.