• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

Happy Holidays to All !

I have a friend who just purchased an Amazing Spierman for $300.00.
It's a little rough but complete. When he brought it home it was pretty much DOA except for the GI lights.
I'm no tech, but I keep my EM and DMD games running and in good shape.
I had never worked on a system 80 machine before but he asked me to look at it and after reading the System 80 Pinwiki section and some other repair guides I went to look at it.

After changing some fuses , resetting the connectors and turning up the 5V on the power board from 4.6v to 5.2v I got it to boot up and play. Everything but the controlled lights are working.
It does not have the ground mods. to the boards but the two ground wires in the jumper from the MPU to the controll board were added. It also has the original battery sensor pack on the board but no leaking that I can see.

With everything else working can the not having the ground mods. or not replacing the battery cause the controlled lamps not to work ?
if anyone can give me some advice on how to troubleshoot the controlled lamps it would be much appreciated.

#2 5 years ago

There are two sets of relays that the power goes through that are a bit finicky. Do you have a schematic to find them in the circuit?

There is one for "game on" and one for "tilt" in series. One is normally open (game on I think, that closes when you start a game) and the other is normally closed (tilt... until you tilt it). Both need to be closed when you start a game. Check the tilt one first . That's the one I usually have problems with.... game is not tilted but relay is open so no lights. This should affect all lights including GI... so if it's only controlled lamps it may not be the issue though .

They are in a bank of relays under the playfield on the front right (top right when playfield is up) mine are labeled good.

Let me know if you need a schematic to trace where controlled lamp illumination is coming from . You can also check power and ground to the lamp driver board. I believe when a controlled light is turned on, the lamp driver is completing the circuit to ground for the bulb, so be sure the driver board is properly grounded .

#3 5 years ago

Thanks scrdube. He does have the instruction manual so I have the scematics. I did check the relays and clean the contacts last time I was there. But it's on my list to double check when I go back.
how do I check for power and ground on the controller board ?
I did check the TP's on the power board but not sure where to test on the controller board.

#4 5 years ago

Find the schematic for the driver board. Look at the edge connector blocks and see which pins are power and ground.

Connect your ground on the Multimeter to a ground on either the power board or a ground strip somewhere. Check power level on driver board edge connector or test points if indicated in the schematic. Then ground too.

You can also check with power turned OFF, the resistance between the ground pin(s) on the driver board, and grounds on other boards.

#5 5 years ago

Thanks I can figure that out. I go back Tues. to look at it, i'll let you if I get it working

#6 5 years ago

Sorry I didn't post back sooner.
my friend ended up just selling the machine as is so I didn't go back to work on the controlled lights

#7 5 years ago
download (resized).jpegdownload (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington Township, NJ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-80-amazing-spiderman-controled-lamp-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.