Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201221_115820- (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20201220_135940- (resized).jpg
20201220_135951 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hisokajp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I have a project Barracora and after going through quite a few steps on the MPU and Driver board (as well as replacing the Power driver board) I am getting the game to boot.

However it boots straight into service mode, the audit section... I can exit from going to 49 to 50 but then it get right back in there (04 00).

The MPU display flash 0 then it disapear but if i press the self test button it sticks on 9. Pinwiki mentions it could be the 5101 which when i remove the exact same symptoms appear so i'll try to get a replacement tomorrow to try a new now.

Any other thoughts on what it could be? I have replaced all the ROMs with fresh burnt one from IPDB, checked all connectors, reflowns all pins...

video:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ahxi0c_5v2PVpo94WwjtYsaB-SymdA?e=B3hmsi

20201220_135940- (resized).jpg20201220_135940- (resized).jpg
20201220_135951 (resized).jpg20201220_135951 (resized).jpg

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

First, with coin door open and game powered on, power cycle it very quickly.
If the 5101 is any good, the initial power up into audit mode will fill the RAM with factory defaults. By power cycling very quickly you are attempting to reboot the game without the RAM losing power. If successful, the game will boot into attract.
If that doesn’t work (and this happened to me), check the 40-pin interconnect between the MPU and driver. The coin door switch signals pass through the interconnect on their way to the MPU. The MPU didn’t see the coin door open, so the RAM was write protected and the factory defaults could not be written. Replacing the interconnect fixed the problem.
If you haven’t replaced the interconnect, do that first - much easier than desoldering the 5101.

thanks for the replay, that helps!

I have tried the quick power on, off and on again, no results unfortunately. I get different sounds every time i do it, and like half a second with the all the displays showing 0 but he goes straight back into audit mode.

My 5101 is actually socketed, see below picture where it show removed. i can get to the local electronic store tomorrow to pick a replacement one ($18 though...).
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I was thinking of replacing the interconnect but i would have to order the parts from GPE so that will take 1-2 weeks i assume before i could do it.

Looking into the coin door switch, i tested it open and close with continuity to make sure it beeps, which it did. I traced the BLK-Red and WHT wire, which the same WHT wire support the coin door service button to the MPU IJ4 connector. I beeped for continuity and they reach the MPU which make the 5101 the most likely culprit i think?
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#6 3 years ago

Update, i am out of the Audit lock with the new 5101 chip, that was it! thanks everyone

20201221_115820- (resized).jpg20201221_115820- (resized).jpg

Now i have pretty much nothing on the display so that's my next thing to deal with on this project

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Myers, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lodi, WI
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
4,500 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hisokajp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-7-stuck-in-service-mode?tu=hisokajp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.