(Topic ID: 59411)

SYSTEM 7 LAMP MATRIX PROBLEM

By vintageclub

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Here's something odd... I have a System 7 "BARRACORA" machine with a lamp matrix issue. Its showing the normal signs of turning on multiple lamps in a column/row, but new ICs and 6821 PIA haven't fixed the issue. Here's the really weird thing..... the lane change lamps (1,2,3,4,5,6,LEFT SPECIAL, and RIGHT SPECIAL) are all lit at all times. Using the lane change function actually lights them up brighter, so the "unlit" status is actually LIT, and the "lit" status is "bright." When I put the game in lamp test, those lamps actually go fully dim and fully lit, but attract mode and game mode does what I mentioned before........... lit, and bright. However, the game is really confused, anyways..... sometimes the lock lights turn on (not blinking) during certain things... the SHOOT AGAIN lamp turns on at odd times, and the backbox lamps for SHOOT AGAIN, TILT, GAME OVER,etc turn on randomly. Its really strange, I've replaced both 7408s for the columns and rows, along with the PIA and nothing has helped. I've checked all the diodes on all the lamps, along with all the wiring and making sure nothing is touching where it shouldn't. All the wires are going to their appropriate pins on the connectors, as well. If anyone has a clue where to look or what it would be, that would be great.

1 week later
#2 10 years ago

FIXED.... previous owner/tech put in an NTE196 where there should be an NTE197. This caused the bulbs too burn way too bright and be on at all times and get even brighter when you lit them via the Lane Change. After fixing the blown switch matrix and this lamp column issue, the game is now working 100%.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lodi, WI
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Myers, FL
$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-7-lamp-matrix-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.