Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I'm a WPC and later guy, tinkering with a system 7 game. Any of you experts can help?

I have the right slingshot locking on. It does NOT lock on when the game is turned on so that rules out the transistors. As soon as the start button is pressed, it locks on and remains on until I turn the game back off.

I played 2 games and during the 3rd game is when it started - everything was dead [blew a fuse].

I tried swapping the socketed 6821 up near that section of the board and I had a 7402 and a 7408 socketed and tried those, too to no avail.

I do have a logic probe. What are the test points to attach to on the MPU? +5v and GND?
THere's still another 7408 and 7402 chip in that area soldered in, but don't really wanna just replace stuff till it's fixed.

Any thoughts would be awesome. I miss my slingshot!!

#2 10 years ago

Oh - I will say that the slingshot switches are NOT touching and the EOS [is that was they are called?] on the slingshot appears to open when the plunger goes down.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I do have a logic probe. What are the test points to attach to on the MPU? +5v and GND?

If you're testing 5 volt logic put the logic probe jumpers on +5 and ground. If you're testing 12 volt logic put them on +12 and ground.

#4 10 years ago

Is this for your Warlock?

#5 10 years ago

You have 7402 or 7408 IC that is bad if the coil locks in gameplay or test mode, but not in attract (i forget which it is off the top of my head)

Game off. DMM set to diode test. Red lead on ground black lead probe associated 7402 and 7408. You should see a normal voltage drop of .4 to .6 on each leg. If you get a low reading, under .300 or so the IC is probably bad. You can compare between other circuits, they are the same on all of them but the flipper relay.

You can use a logic probe to test with the game on, but not needed and i find more tedious to do. The diode test catches 740X issues near 100% on this style of driver board.

#6 10 years ago

Check for a shorted capacitor (~22uF I think) on the switches of the slingshot. I have had those little caps short before and cause the very problem you are describing.

Jeff

#7 10 years ago

Thanks for the help guys. I used barakandl's method and found one leg bad on the topmost 7408.
Took it out, socketed it, and put a new 7408 in there and it's working again.
THanks guys and thanks for the tip Jeff - I'll jot that down for future reference, too!

Back to Warlok!

**On a side note, apparently you can't rely on the orientation of the other chips on the board when inserting them and need to pay close attention to the way they came off. I turned a 7408 into a 7409 and blew the other one and a fuse. LOL. Newb's, huh?

#8 10 years ago

And ROb Anthony's IC tester came in awesomely handy to test those chips to make sure the socketed ones were good and the one's I was putting in were good.

#9 10 years ago

Nice job on the fix!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-7-help-special-solenoid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.