(Topic ID: 102227)

System 7 displays "scrolling" - SOLVED

By adalogue

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adalogue.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Just picked up a Black Knight and the displays have a weird scrolling effect. Displays "scroll" left to right, if you can imagine each digit fading in and out, but timed such that the digit to the right fades on just after the digit to the left, and the digit to the left fades out just before the digit to the right, so you can only see 3-4 digits at a time, the others are off, and which digits you see scrolls from left to right. P1 and P3 scroll in sync, as do P2 and P4. Credit display also "scrolls".

Any thoughts?

I have a PSU rebuild kit I was going to use, but it seems like it may be a data issue. Anyone ran into this before or have any ideas? Re-seating connectors didn't help. Issue with strobes (shared between P1 and P3, and P2 and P4)? I've never worked on those before, I suspect parts are hard to get a hold of?

I realize now "scrolling" may imply the numbers move left-right, that is not the case, only the brightness of the digit changes.

#3 9 years ago

I'm pretty sure I have a full kit from GPE, including filter caps:

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=WAN-HVP-KIT

#5 9 years ago

Bam, 100uF caps it was! Turns out this game had a System 6 PSU. Not sure how common that is, but it's working now! Thanks!

#7 9 years ago

Yeah, I had everything but the 5VDC filter cap (although I suppose I could have used a computer grade electrolytic...), just ordered some.

Thanks again!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adalogue.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-7-displays-scrolling?tu=adalogue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.