You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_7406.jpg
20140516_124450.jpg
#1 9 years ago

For a black knight system 7.
I thought I solved this issue but I didnt. I put a memory cap in and put a 0 ohm jumper in at d17. The voltage at the positive side of the memory cap is 5v. Voltage at the jumper at d17 is 5v. Voltage at ic19 pin 22 the cmos ram is 5v. Ground to the memory cap has continuity to the ground braid.
It will hold memory for a short period of time. I'm not exactly sure how long, at least 15 minutes. But not overnight. In trying to diagnose this I know it may be the ic19 chip 5101 cmos ram. But before I go replacing it I want to run it by the pros on here.
Something I found odd is the coin door lockout switch/button is missing. The wires have been soldered together by the previous owner. Im not sure if this may be causing the game to boot into audit mode. I provided a picture of the wires I believe go to thee coin door lock out switch. Any help is greatly appreciated. 20140516_124450.jpg20140516_124450.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Mine has 2 wires like yours attached to the bottom terminal and 1 wire (black/red) attached to the top terminal of the door switch.

#3 9 years ago

Hmm. I found the black/red wire. It was cut way back by the tilt. Could anyone provide a pic of the back of that switch? Is there a diode? Could I attach the white wires to the black/red wire and bypass the coin door switch?

#4 9 years ago

This is from Jungle Lord (name changed to protect the innocent) switch and wiring look same as black knight, I just have easy access to an open Jungle Lord cabinet.100_7406.jpg100_7406.jpg

#5 9 years ago

The coin door mem protect switch is normally open. If you are stuck in audit mode then you may have another issue (like a bad 5101 sram) unless the wiring hack is keeping this mem protect switch closed. Still the wiring should be fixed.

As a test, pull the coin door plug from the MPU connector. Power on/off the game a few times quickly and see if it goes into attract mode.

#6 9 years ago

Itll go into attract mode if I quickly turn it on off on. I think its the 5101 but I noticed the coin door switch not hooked up and thought it may be causing the issue. But if its normally open than the switch being disconnected shouldnt cause the issue, right?

#7 9 years ago

If it goes into attract mode with the on, off, on rapid trick the 5101 is most likely fine and no battery voltage is reaching the 5101. If it fails to go into attract mode with that trick is when the 5101 is probably bad.

#8 9 years ago

When I tested the 5101 at u19 pin 22 and it reads 5v.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from newtoit:

When I tested the 5101 at u19 pin 22 and it reads 5v.

Is that with the machine turned off? Need to be sure the battery voltage is reaching the 5101. If no 5v with the machine off, then the problem is between the batteries and pin 22.

#10 9 years ago

If your BK goes into audit mode upon power up from my (and many others experience) it's most likely going to be your 5101 assuming your memory cap is hooked up correctly-they are famous for crapping out- I recommend changing it out (if it's original) anyway...and don't forget to put a socket in for the new chip it makes things MUCH easier.

3 weeks later
#11 9 years ago

Well... I replaced the 5101 cmos ram chip at u19. And also put a new memory cap in. Turned the machine on for an hour to charge the cap. Turned off and waited a while. Turned on and it still boots into audit mode.

Not sure where to go from here. I have the schematics for a Jungle Lord but dont know where else to look for a resolution to this issue.

#12 9 years ago

Bump for the day time.

#13 9 years ago

Is the memory protect switch working? Do you have +3 to +5vdc at P22 of the 5101?

The coin door has to be open to clear the junk out of the ram. Power on off a few times with the door open.

#14 9 years ago

With the new memory protect switch behindo the coindoor, the coindoor has to be open in order for the on off on "trick" to work. I'm going to install a remote battery instead of the memory capacitor. The memory capacitor doesn't seem to hold the charge.

#15 9 years ago

If your mem cap is draining fast, check the blocking diode that isolates the battery voltage to just the RAM and one other IC. If that diode goes short (it happens) then it will drain out the battery really fast.

What is the farad rating on your mem cap. A system 7 board keeps battery power on an IC or two more than just the 5101 RAM.

#16 9 years ago

Replaced the diode at d18 (1n5817) and re-replaced the d17 (1n4148) and put a battery pack instead of the memory cap.
Oddly enough the d18 diode was a jumper and no diode, schematics say its supposed to be a 1n5817 so that's what I put there. Everything is working. Shut it off for an hour and it's holding the memory. Fixed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,059.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-7-boots-into-audit-mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.