3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcadeforever.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Hi all I am troubleshooting a system 7 game where when you turn it on, the game number comes up in the display 1 which I know usually means a dead/missing battery, but when I open the coin door to power it off and back on a few times quickly to get past that, it wont go past it and never puts the game into attract mode. Any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Has anyone written a theory of operation for the bootup sequence? I was not able to find it.

thanks!

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

It does a very simple ram test on one byte that it uses to initialize PIAs - if this fails it goes to diagnostic test
    It initializes all the PIAs
    It initializes non-nvram
    It takes a checksum byte in the rom and compares it to a CMOS (nvram) byte - if this fails it goes to diagnostic test
    It checks dip switches and if set a certain way, goes to diagnostic test
    Instead of powering on and off, since it's system 7, it will exit at the end of audits. Just scroll through them all and exit. If it goes back into diagnostics, likely your nvram is bad, or your memory protect circuit from the coin door is bad. (most likely the 5101, though.... they're really static sensitive.)

Thank you, Its not going into attract mode, would the coin door switches work still?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcadeforever.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-7-boot-up-theory-of-operation?tu=arcadeforever and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.