IMG_4334 (resized).jpg
IMG_4333 (resized).jpg
IMG_4329 (resized).jpg
IMG_4328 (resized).jpg
IMG_4327 (resized).jpg
IMG_4326 (resized).jpg
IMG_4325 (resized).jpg
IMG_4324 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rx2006je.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I have a Jungle Lord machine that was given to me. When I got the machine it was missing the MPU and the Driver Board. I first ordered a new MPU with roms and driver board from pinballpcb.com. We got those installed and noticed that the LED on the MPU was staying locked on "0" and the blanking light would not come on. I looked in the manual for the MPU and it states that the blanking light must be on for the MPU to function correctly. It states that the likely cause is the connection to the driver board or the IC23 chip. The power supply was putting out some funky readings and was rigged up in the first place with some burnt connectors. So I ordered an new power supply, and sound board as it was working intermittently and replaced them. Now it has good clean power, all the GI lights are coming on and the sound works when tested with the diagnostic button. Tried turning on the machine with the new power supply and the MPU still stayed locked up at "0". I spoke with pinballpcb and they suggested that I try "unlocking" the board by turning the machine on and off quickly. I did so and nothing changed. They then sent me out replacement chips of IC1, IC13, and IC19b. I replaced the IC1 as instructed first and turned on the machine. When I did 3 of the 5 drop targets popped up on the rear bank and the F2 fuse blew. The blanking light never came on the MPU stayed on "0". I replaced the fuse and turned back on the machine. Nothing happened, no fuse blown, but the volts came up correctly on the voltmeter for the power supply, above 28v. I proceeded to change the other 2 chips that they sent me and they didn't change anything. The MPU still stays locked up with the LED displaying "0". The scoring displays never come on, I assume because the MPU never boots.

I have included pictures to show what is going on.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

IMG_4324 (resized).jpgIMG_4324 (resized).jpgIMG_4325 (resized).jpgIMG_4325 (resized).jpgIMG_4326 (resized).jpgIMG_4326 (resized).jpgIMG_4327 (resized).jpgIMG_4327 (resized).jpgIMG_4328 (resized).jpgIMG_4328 (resized).jpgIMG_4329 (resized).jpgIMG_4329 (resized).jpg
#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

A zero remaining on the display means the program is not running (most common) or the display PIA is bad (would be VERY unusual on a new board).
If the CPU does not run, the blanking signal will never enable.
Focus on the MPU board ROM chips. Make sure they are all in the right sockets and none of the pins are bent under.
If you ever install one backwards, it will blow the ROM chip so make sure you haven't installed any backward and if you have, you will need to replace it.

How do I know if I have installed one backwards? I will try going through a step process. I may send the boards back to pcbpinball to let them check the board so see if they are good.

#6 3 years ago

Here are pictures of the switches and rom chips on the board. Flipper rom IC17 was the only rom that the pins were not bright and shiny. All pins were seated correctly and no legs were bent on any chips that I saw.

IMG_4332 (resized).jpgIMG_4332 (resized).jpgIMG_4333 (resized).jpgIMG_4333 (resized).jpgIMG_4334 (resized).jpgIMG_4334 (resized).jpgIMG_4335 (resized).jpgIMG_4335 (resized).jpgIMG_4336 (resized).jpgIMG_4336 (resized).jpgIMG_4337 (resized).jpgIMG_4337 (resized).jpgIMG_4338 (resized).jpgIMG_4338 (resized).jpg

#9 3 years ago

So when I asked for help from pcbpnball where I got the board from he asked me if I changed the switches too. I told him I didn’t I just installed the board as it came from him. He said usually the send it out with the more common 2732 but sometimes they use the other depending on what they have available. I tried changing the switches for the 2732 setup and still got nothing but a “0” on the MPU. Considering sending the board back to be checked to see if there is something wrong there.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Sounds like you've tried all the right things and sending it and the ROM chips back to be tested is the right plan. I would send the driver board too so they can test them as a pair.

Will do, I will update when I get boards back.
Thanks for all the advise.

3 weeks later
#12 3 years ago

sent boards for repair/check. My old power supply wreaked havoc on the the MPU and fried a bunch of chips. New power supply and all is working as it should. Now I just have to get the start button fixed and I can finally get to play a game.

#13 3 years ago

All boards came back and all is working as it should. I am a leaf switch away from getting it going.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Langhorne, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rx2006je.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-7-and-or-pinballpcb-help?tu=rx2006je and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.