(Topic ID: 109800)

System 6 Tech help, Tip 102 keeps blowing???

By 80spit

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by 80spit
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 80spit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Ok, I am working on getting all my boards going for both of these Gorgars I got last week, I am almost
there, one slight glitch I can't figure out, First let me state I have a perfectly working Gorgar which I am using as a Test Host. My Drive board had a blown Q15 ( kick out hole) I replaced the it with a TIP 102 and also replaced the pre driver. It booted and played then after 5 mins blew again. replace the 102 again and replaced IC1 (7408) Still no luck, still blowing. So now I am thinking IC 5 (PIA) Am I heading in the right direction?? Popped my original drive board in and all is well, I think I am quitting for tonight!!

#5 9 years ago

I went to check the diode on the coil and saw a slight burn under it on the coil base. Probed it with my
fingers and it broke in half, seems it is probably the culprit!! Can't figure out why it would run fine on one board and not the other? I'll change it out and see what happens, a lot easier than doing that PIA because it's a big PIA, pun intended! I don't have a probe, I am thinking it might be a good investment though, if I can figure out what I am doing with it.
Thanks guys

#6 9 years ago

Well turns out it was the diode on the coil, replaced it and put a new TIP 102 in and all is well. It's been playing great. for 1/2 hr straight. I now have 2 full working sets of boards!! I am still puzzled how this pin played with it's original drive board and did not blow the same transistor, must just be a more robust board. I Also noted I got more ghosting on my LEDS with the different drive board, Interesting.
I am sure learning a lot getting all these boards up and running, I'm finding it is more fun fixing than playing lately, is that strange or what.
Thanks for all the help

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 80spit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-6-tech-help-tip-102-keeps-blowing?tu=80spit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.