Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Deez
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GListOverflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 10 years ago

Could be a component failure on the speech board, but I would be pretty surprised to see two boards with the exact same component failure. My initial thought would be something else.

I have had a similar issue, with sound working fine but no speech, that did turn out to be a faulty IC on the speech board. The path the sound takes on the speech board is pretty simple, in on pin 3 of the ribbon cable, then the only components involved in mixing it and sending it back out looks like R8 (the pot), R12, R15, R16.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Could also be the mixing amp at IC2 on the speech board, but I doubt the issue is present on both speech boards.

I thought this too at first, but looking at the schematic it looks like it only takes one input at pin 6 (which includes the speech output), and isn't doing any actual mixing itself? So since he is getting speech fine then it seems like the amp is working. Or I may be misunderstanding the schematic, that is also possible

#14 10 years ago

+1 vote for GQ-4X.

Or if you're not interested getting set up to burn ROMs yourself I can do one for you, though didn't you say in your other thread that the Kohout board came with the sound ROM?

#18 10 years ago

I actually burn 2716 just fine with my GQ-4X and just the USB cable. I think it has most to do with what computer you're plugging it into, as some laptops/motherboards have special "extra power" USB ports for charging phones and etc.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from boneman91:

I think there are ROMs on the speech board too.

There are. I'm not aware of a mechanism by which bad ROMs on the speech board could allow speech to work but not sound, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Really though it sounds more like a connection problem somewhere.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

This is exactly what was happening on my alien poker. The speech would work but sounds would activate once in awhile.

Interesting. Well, good to know!

#28 10 years ago

Nice

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GListOverflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-6-soundspeech-issue?tu=GListOverflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.