SOLVED! System 6 Gorgar sound issues from driver board

By vintageclub

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hi, gang.

I have faulty sounds on my Gorgar, but its not because of the soundboard. The problem is on the driver board. I've swapped a good driver board into it and it works just fine. The sound solenoids trigger appropriately when you ground the transistor tabs, but most of the game sounds are wrong. I've swapped the PIA and installed new 7408s that drive those transistors... and pre and main transistors also test correctly. Really strange problem.

#2 2 years ago

Bump! Following the out come of this problem. Very interesting.

#3 2 years ago

Solved my issue. I traced back to the PIA that drives the solenoid circuits that trigger certain sounds on the soundboard. I found multiple dead solder joints under the PIA socket. I pulled the socket out, cleaned everything up and replaced with a new 40pin socket. Now all sounds work as they should. To describe what it was like before... imagine the tilt sound playing for over half the playfield switches... mix in a couple other random sounds and that was all you got. If anyone is having a similar issue, I say look towards a PIA, it's socket, or the solder/traces for each pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-6-gorgar-sound-issues-from-driver-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.