Displays error code (resized).jpg
2339 (resized).jpg
2328 (resized).jpg
2329 (resized).jpg
2334 (resized).jpg
2327 (resized).jpg
sys6backboxparts (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I have a Firepower im going to try and get going. When turned on the only thing that happens is the displays come on (no lights, start button doesnt work, nothing). As you can see from the pictures the driver board looks to have gotten very hot! I probably shouldnt have turned it on in its current state but figured any damage had already been done as the previous owner stated they turned it on and had same results, just displays came on. My plan is to buy a new R.Dog mpu/driver board. I have no previous board work experience but have access to someone local who knows a bit and has a desoldering station.

1) I would like to check if the power board is good, how do i do that? I assume the caps will probably be bad, should i just order a new R.dog board for the power as well?

2) Im missing the giant blue capacitor that sits in the bottom of the head, what does that do...where can i get one. Pic below is not my machine, just for reference.

3) I plugged the upper right display (one thats out) in using the harness plug below it and it came on so seems that upper harness/plug has an issue, plug looked fine though...any ideas?

4) Im assuming i shouldnt just buy a new mpu/driver board and plug it in without checking the other components...if they are bad can they damage the new board?

5) Really just looking for some advice / direction as this is a first for me. Thanks!

sys6backboxparts (resized).jpgsys6backboxparts (resized).jpg

2327 (resized).jpg2327 (resized).jpg

2334 (resized).jpg2334 (resized).jpg

2329 (resized).jpg2329 (resized).jpg

2328 (resized).jpg2328 (resized).jpg

2339 (resized).jpg2339 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Some really good documentation on firepower can be found here...specifically the PDF's.
http://www.firepowerpinball.com/downloads/

With regards to your specific issues I believe others on here will be able to give you better answers then I can.
Good luck with the project.

Edit:
This thread on here will also probably be of use...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6

#3 6 years ago

Large capacitor is for the lamp matrix, you can probably get one from great plains electronics (along with a rebuild kit for the power supply if you want).

Besides from replacing the capacitors, the power supply is good if all the voltages coming out of it are correct. There's a diagram in the manual of all the pins and what their readings should be.

Display wise, it could be an issue with the master display board as well.

The main thing that could a damage a new board is bad voltages from the power supply or if one of the switches/lamps/solenoids is shorted.

All those boards get really hot in the lamp matrix area, some blackening is normal and you don't really need to worry about it.

Your pics didn't come through, fyi

#4 6 years ago

let me know if you can see the pictures now, should be 6 of them! thanks

#6 6 years ago

Is the photo above of your displays on power up ?
If it is the game is booting into Audit mode probably because there are not any batteries in the holder, I would recommend removing the batteries from the board to a remote holder ASAP.

The top right display may not be working due to power. My firepower has a brown cable that is separate from the main wire harness to the lower board. This has separate connectors on it that connect to each displays harness. With the power off make sure all the displays respective power connectors are plugged in.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Moonbus:

Is the photo above of your displays on power up ?
If it is the game is booting into Audit mode probably because there are not any batteries in the holder, I would recommend removing the batteries from the board to a remote holder ASAP.
The top right display may not be working due to power. My firepower has a brown cable that is separate from the main wire harness to the lower board. This has separate connectors on it that connect to each displays harness. With the power off make sure all the displays respective power connectors are plugged in.

As far as i know thats the numbers that came up on the display as soon as i turned it on and they didnt change. Its not at my house at the moment so i can not just go check easily. I can check next time im with the machine or should i not turn it on again as it is?

#8 6 years ago

If those numbers are all you ever got to display then it's normal there's nothing on the other displays. Using the buttons on the coin door you should be able to scroll around and get some other stuff to display. You're probably safe leaving it on for testing since nothing has caught fire yet, but I'd check all the power supply voltages to be extra sure.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from GraniteStatePin:

As far as i know thats the numbers that came up on the display as soon as i turned it on and they didnt change. Its not at my house at the moment so i can not just go check easily. I can check next time im with the machine or should i not turn it on again as it is?

As Zacaj said above, if nothing has gone bang yet you should be ok to put some batteries in and turn the game back on/off a few times. I'm working on a firepower at the moment that had the same thing on the displays, adding the batteries fixed it as the memory in game requires the batteries to function apparently.

Before...
Displays error code (resized).jpgDisplays error code (resized).jpg

After...
Displays working (resized).jpgDisplays working (resized).jpg

Dont leave the batteries in there though as if the project get left and the batteries forgotten you could have bigger issues in the future.

#10 6 years ago

Cool thanks for the help so far guys!

Does anybody have a part# or know what that large capacitor im missing is? or a link to one for sale.

Also does anyone have the specs/diagram of the power supply voltage readings?

#11 6 years ago

My Alien Poker (system 6a) does the same thing if it has no batteries, it shows similar numbers to yours although top left are slightly different as they identify the game. To get past that after you see the numbers open your coin door and then do a rapid power off/on, that should get you past the audit on power up display even if you have no batteries installed. So basically power on, open coin door, then rapid power cycle off/on.

#12 6 years ago

Cool thanks for the help so far guys!
Does anybody have a part# or know what that large capacitor im missing is? or a link to one for sale.
Also does anyone have the specs/diagram of the power supply voltage readings?

Marco has it.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C30KM25VR

Cheaper here.
https://www.tedss.com/36DX303G025BC2A/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4eXPBRCtARIsADvOjY2Zr1GlDJmCGAn_V1saOZ1rAuiqrHY1ShpsbQdHnAZvsmctk6zH0-EaAhGFEALw_wcB

But this will actually kill 2 birds.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bridge-board-available-for-williams-games

With step by step instructions for firepower. Click the bridge board picture
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/

#13 6 years ago

Make sure the 2 blue screw terminals that go to the big blue capacitor are not touching each other and are not touching anything else, including the floor of the cabinet, when you turn the game on. The big blue capacitor is to filter the power to the lamp matrix. Until you get a replacement, I wouldn't run the machine for long periods of time without it in place. There may be some ill effects to the lamp matrix components from the "dirty" power, I'm not sure. In addition to the options Travish mentioned, you can get one here:
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CCG-27000uF-25V

If you also need the bracket to mount it to the floor of the cabinet, you can get that here:
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=VR8A

As others have said, the display you are seeing is the result of the backup batteries being dead (missing in your case ). With the coin door open, and machine on, try turning the game off then back on very fast. You can typically get it to start this way without batteries installed.

To answer your question, those boards are in great shape and should be saved. If you end up swapping them all out for aftermarket boards, sell me your old, "junky" ones!

To make the game reliable, you should have those boards reconditioned (new capacitors, header pins, IC sockets, 40 pin connector, maybe MOSFET lamp matrix update, etc) but that should cost 1/2 of what all new boards would run. Reconditioning your old boards will yield a machine that will run for another 30 years.

#14 6 years ago

Thanks so much for all the great info guys! That Inko board is very cool!

Schwaggs is it ok to run that capacitor from great plains even though the specs are different? 30,000 vs 27,000

Also if i save these boards who do you guys recommend for board work?

#16 6 years ago

Not a bad idea, as it solves 2 problems with one part: Replaces the Lamp Matrix caps AND adds fuses to the 2 circuits that are missing protection from the factory.

#18 6 years ago

Thanks so much for all the great info guys! That Inko board is very cool!
Schwaggs is it ok to run that capacitor from great plains even though the specs are different? 30,000 vs 27,000
Also if i save these boards who do you guys recommend for board work?

27,000 vs 30,000 is not an issue if you decide to go this way. The tolorance of these big caps is +- 20% so technically the 30,000 cap could be any value from 21,000 to 39,000uf. Chances are the 27,000 is right in this range somewhere.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-6-firepower-board-help?hl=moonbus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.