(Topic ID: 53679)

System 6 - Coil Voltage Too High - Bridge Rectifier?

By dtown

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dtown
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bridgemod.png

#1 6 years ago

I performed the fused bridge mod on my Firepower and I keep blowing the 4 amp fuse for BR2, the coil fuse. I can play for about a minute and then the coils go dead after the fuse blows. The 2.5 on the P/S board is fine. I measure 40 volts DC coming from BR2 which is way higher than the 28 that it should be. Is the bridge shot? Is this causing the fuse to blow?

I also measure 17 volts and 18 volts at the two AC lugs going into the bridge. Schematics say it should be 25.5 AC. Problem with the transformer? I doubt it but just putting it out there.

#2 6 years ago

Voltage going out not under load tends to be higher.

Don't know how you are measuring AC, hot to common ?

But voltage in is usually closer to voltage out.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

check the end of stroke switches on the flippers and make sure they open up. Make sure all grounds,specifically between head and cabinet are connected and solid.

#4 6 years ago

Not really too out of whack for a system 6, mine is in the mid 30v range I believe, not sure if a 4A is enough for that circuit to be honest, IIRC I'm running 8A

-Hans

#5 6 years ago

I got 40 volts at the coil lugs. It's actually 41-42 at BR2. I bypassed the mod and its not blowing the 2.5 amp fuse on the P/S. The mod called for 4 amp slow blows. Maybe it's not enough. This was a dead game so all switches and coils were checked and cleand prior to powering on.

#6 6 years ago

I found two different repair sites which describe the mod. One says to use 4 amp slow blows and the other says 8 amp. Which is it? I'm guessing 8.

One is Mark's Pinball Page - 4 amp
The other is easypinballpro - 8 amp

Easypinballpro mentions that Mark helped write the site so I'm at a loss.

#7 6 years ago

Below is part of a write up that I used the first few times I added the fuses to the rectifers. It says 8 amp.

bridgemod.png

#8 6 years ago

Thanks. I wish I had read the right one the first time. Out two fuses for misprinted instructions.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.00
1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lizella, GA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 18.00
Cabinet - Decals
Top-Notch Target Shields
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside