9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by HHaase
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I have a system 4 CPU and it has no blanking signal at pin 37 of the 40 way. I am using Leon rom. The signal doesnt fluctuate with the blinking LEDs, and it reads 0V, and the driver board IS disconnected. I might mention that the Leons ROM is running.

I have replaced the timer and the 2n4403. I have also tested C31 and C32 with my capacitance tester and they look good.

Still nothing....

Any ideas? I have read IC25 can be involved. Not sure what to do next.

#2 9 years ago

I might ask.There is no blanking jumper needed for system 4, as in system 6 and 7, correct? I have also tried this with 12V at pin 9 of the power connector.

#3 9 years ago

Do you get blanking with the game ROM installed? Have you tried Andre's test ROM? No blanking with Leon may be an issue with the test ROM.

viperrwk

#4 9 years ago

How is your cpu board PIA? Pin 18(?) is where the input signal comes from to trigger the timer circuit. I would check if that pia is pulsing, and if that line has good continuity to the timer chip

#5 9 years ago

The blanking is random when using leon's rom, it cycles with andre's. If all the PIAs are going up and down, you probably dont have a blanking issue.

95% of the time blanking is a symptom of a non bootin MPU board, not a cause.

#6 9 years ago

Ok, I tested it with the game roms in, and it is good. I wont forget that one!

Here is my next question:

1. Is there not a way to test the driver board on system 3/4 with Leons ROM? I tried to jumper 5V to pin 37, but that shuts the test off....probably shorting something.

2. Where is the download for Andres ROM?

#7 9 years ago

Andre's ROM works with the driver board connected. It cycles the solenoids and lamps so you can see them working on a bench setup which is very nice.

I can email it to you when i am home. Send me a message with your email address so i don't forget.

#8 9 years ago

Sometimes Leon's doesn't drive the blanking signal enough for some boards so it makes it impossible to test the driver board. Andre's is the better choice.

Saving Andrew the trouble:

https://code.google.com/p/lcd-pinball-display/downloads/list

Make sure to use v2.

Andrew has a nice vid of using Andre's ROM:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-sys-3-7-andre-test-rom-usage-video-v2

Hans' solenoid output tester is great for putting the LED on the outputs to see the activity rather than homebrewing your own:

http://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_product=10&controller=product&id_lang=1

viperrwk

#9 9 years ago

Leon's test rom may not drive the blanking signal fully, but it still does energize it enough that it should be blinking an LED for around the same duration as the PIA's running in the test. And on system 3-4 you should still see PIA activity at the PIA's output pins, that's with or without the blanking signal working.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-4-no-blanking-signal-with-leons-roms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.