6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Edenecho
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Edenecho.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hello fellow pinheads!
Thought Id make a thread here even though this is a rather standard issue on system3.
First, I have read through Clays system3 pinball repair site, watched some videos etc, but Ill describe my issue and maybe some of you have some tips also.

Last week I picked up a stargate. Before packing it together, the former owner powered it on, it booted fine.
Arriving with the game at its destination, I set it up,connected its power chord to a power strip and when I booted it, it was only the typical garbage on the display. No sound.

Today, I powered it on and it was garbled display for a second and then it booted as it should. Turned it off, then on again and then it was stuck with the garbled display again.

Troubleshooting time:
1. I measured the 5v, trimming the pot up to 5.15, and down to 4.8 but it did not make the cpu board suddenly boot, still stuck in garbage land.
2. Turned off game, reseated all connector. Booted, still garbage dmd but now we had sound!! A constant BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP.
3. We measured the battery, it was good but we still replaced it with a new socket and battery. Still the same garbage display.
4. We reseated all the ROMS, no change.
5. It seems the only thing left, according to pinball ninja, is to update the firmware to the latest .4 or .5, as this was supposedly containing a fix to this issue?
The current game eprom does not have the #version number printed on, so dont know if its .2,.3 or later.

Any other ideas to try, could the culprit be something else?
It seems as the game is booting okay the first time, aka when its cold and havent been started in a while. But after that it goes straight to garbage dmd.
I am also unsure how high it is safe to trim the 5v pot when testing.

We will burn the latest stargate game rom on friday, so will in any case update of the progress.

Thanks,
Morten

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Why not just order the latest ROMs from Pinball Resource? It's the least invasive thing you could do at this point, and you'd be guaranteed to have the most recent code.
If Stargate is anything like earlier alphanumeric System 3 games, ROMs without a revision number indicate that it's the first revision--i.e. your ROMs could very well be the first ones sent out with games.

Yeah might be! Just had an order sent from pbr, and since i found the #5 game rom from the pinrepair site we will burn it onto the eprom and test. If needed i will order the full rom set from pbr with my next batch.. when getting the game up and running im sure i will discover more stuff i need from pbr =)

#7 6 years ago

Update: this issue was resolved with the newest software eprom!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Edenecho.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-3-stargate-garbage-dmd-and-beeps-on-boot?tu=Edenecho and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.