• Latest reply 10 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140211_210500[1].jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hello I have a gladiators that I bought and has been sitting in corner for year. When I brought game home it worked except in beast challenge stage when you hit the first upper hole to slay the beast ball would freeze dmd would display mega bonus and it would count down never search for ball just music played flippers still would work after aprox 7-8 mins would release ball game continue until hit next hole to continue to slay beast same thing ball freezes display shows mega bonus count down and so on after you kill the beast it would continue and play fine no problems.
ok so now I went to work on problem and when i turn it on GI lights up on playfield and backbox but dmd has scrambled mess along top part and no beep no led on any board light up.
I thank you for any advice and I am new to diagnostics.
Greg

#2 10 years ago

Bump

#3 10 years ago

Is the battery leaking on the CPU?

#4 10 years ago

Nope battery looks good

#5 10 years ago

If you have no flashing lights on any of the boards then the A1 control board has not started.

While the battery may not have leaked (rarely does on Sys3), it may be dead. You can get around this by turning the machine on and pressing the reset button on the CPU board. If the LED does not blink after that, you could have a problem with the ROM, RAM, CPU, U6 watchdog or U11 74HC123.

Diagnosing and repairing control board faults on a Sys3 beyond swapping out socketed components is not something I would recommend as a starter repair project.

viperrwk

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Diagnosing and repairing control oard faults on a Sys3 beyond swapping out socketed components is not something I would recommend as a starter repair project.

Thank you I was afraid of that I guess i could find working CPU and swap mine out may be only option dam.
I did try and press reset on CPU and nothing happened then

#7 10 years ago

Well im going with ghost now I left power supply unplugged yesterday and then last night plugged it all back in turned on and gi lights up get the beep tone and leds are flashing on cpu and other boards but display is still all scrambled will not start a game or go into test mode.

#8 10 years ago

Lets keep it somewhat simple... What is your 5 volt reading on the cpu? Also, above the CPU is the display driverboard, look for U8, is it socketed?

#9 10 years ago

Is it doing this?

That would be caused by the watchdog circuit going out of spec. Fixed on that Shaq via game ROM update.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

display driverboard, look for U8, is it socketed?

I am at work now will try and look when i take a lunch around 2-3pm

#11 10 years ago

The only thing you need working on this is your DMD board and your CPU board. Everything else can be taken out of the equation. You need a solid 5 volt going to them, and they both rely on each other to talk through the boot sequence. If your U8 is socketed, and your 5 volt is steady, replacing the U8 is an easy first step. Also, U8 is toast on a lot of these, and in many cases, it is caused by plugging/unplugging cables while the game was turned on.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

replacing the U8 is an easy first step

Except for the pain of paying Steve Young $20 for it (Ed@GPE is out and isn't going to have new stock for a while.)

viperrwk

#14 10 years ago

Well U8 is socketed and i have 5.2 volts on cpu so I will order the U8 where is best place to order from ? Pinball resource ? Thanks for the help

#15 10 years ago

Before grabbing a new U8, remove power from the other boards, and leave only CPU and DMD driver board connected. Take your 5 volt down a bit to get it to sit right at the 5.0 mark (even though 5.2 should be fine, I have seen boards not boot with 5.2), the small center board has a dial on it to adjust the 5 volt. Once you have 5 volt and only those two boards connected, see if you get any boot. The red leds will alternate between the two boards while running. Also, once you are dialed in and only have these two connected, try hitting the reset button with the game on like viperwrk suggested to see if you get different results (you can try holding it for a few seconds too).

As far as U8 goes, that GAL chip is $20 at pbresource and like $5-ish at GPE, but it sounds like GPE might be out of stock (which happens quite a bit with this chip with them). Grab a socket to drop in U8 as well if you end up having to replace it.

#16 10 years ago

if you have a part number digikey has parts as well.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

if you have a part number digikey has parts as well.

They won't have the U8 GAL.... It is a custom programmed chip.

#18 10 years ago

turned pot down and have 5V now instead of 5.2 with only cpu and display hooked up still will not boot I will wait for my U8-G and try it when it comes in

#19 10 years ago

Well U8-g came in mail swapped my old one out and display is up and working seems like I have more issues now as no lamps and can not start a game so back to work and see if I can track down next issue

#20 10 years ago

Thank you for keeping us updated with part replacement and what was fixed. Helps for future users having the same problem!

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Greg2608:

Well U8-g came in mail swapped my old one out and display is up and working seems like I have more issues now as no lamps and can not start a game so back to work and see if I can track down next issue

Tell us more about your scenario. Other boards hooked up? What are the lights on the boards doing? What does your display show, attract mode?

#22 10 years ago

Well I was in rush when home on lunch break I stuck U8-G in and then posted above. Got home now and discovered I made a noob mistake I forgot to hook back up driver board. everyhing is working and the original problem in Beast Challenge Mode is now functioning as it should. Thanks for all the help

#23 10 years ago

Awesome, glad you got it solved. Gladiators is a pretty fun game. I unplugged the shaker when I had it because it would try to walk the machine across the room, LOL...

#24 10 years ago

yep shaker is unplugged here also caused the dog to go nuts lol

#25 10 years ago

Would one of you mind taking a pic of the inside of your cab? I don't remember what it looks like and where the shakers as. I picked one up tonight (it is at my friends house) and want to verify if it came with one.

#26 10 years ago

Here is a picture showing the shaker to the left of the speaker.

20140211_210500[1].jpg20140211_210500[1].jpg
#27 10 years ago

Thanks! I want to say it's gone.... I'll know tomorrow

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-3-gi-lights-up-dmd-scrambled-gladiators and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.