Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robx46.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I got a cue ball wizard without sound. both sound boards seem like they might be ok & flash red indicating 5v. Seems that my problem is with the 12v. VR1 on the aux power board is getting supplied with about 17v DC. The output should be 12v, but is about 2.8v. I've already changed the capacitors & I've replaced the voltage regular multiple times using multiple brands. Still only 2.8v output! Clearly I'm missing something. To my untrained eye reading the schematics, I can't understand what else it might be.

#3 5 years ago

Tested diodes already, removed them from the board to get an accurate test. Changed capacitors & voltage regulators already. Same issue. No cracked joints anywhere that I can see

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

If solder joints are fine and input voltage is fine...
Two other things it could be:
1: U1 (MC3403) may be bad. C20 & C22 could also be bad but tends to be unlikely.
2: Something hanging off the P1 connector's pin 10 is dragging down the voltage (i.e. sound board J2).

Interesting so if I disconnect the aux sound board, I read 12v at VR1 on the aux power board.
Now I"m starting over trying to figure out what this means. I do have a 7430n on the sound board that might be testing bad but I'm not so sure that would be causing this voltage issue

#7 5 years ago

I actually don't have a jumper on JP5 or JP6. Although according to the schematic I should have one on JP5. Perhaps I should jump it? I have two mc3403 on the aux sound board.
At this point I'm assuming the aux board is the issue since everything 5v related seems fine.

#9 5 years ago

voltage is fine without the aux sound board attached, so the issue is def on that. I ordered a couple mc3403 so I'll try replacing those, fingers crossed! thanks

1 month later
#10 5 years ago

Still haven't figured this out. But I have noticed that all the hum & noise is from all of my speakers pulling in immediately at game start, after a minute they smell like they are burning up. Like I flick it on & watch the speaker insides suck in all the way. Must be at aux power supply because it still does it with neither sound board connected. I've already replaced the voltage regulators, capacitors, both amps & both large capacitors. I'm about ready to throw in the towel & order a new board, but I also have to be getting close.

1 week later
#12 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Speakers pulling in like that are indicating you have a DC offset leaking to the output. Speakers are designed to reproduce alternating current - moving back and forth, with no DC or AC they are at rest.

Any idea what fault can cause this leak? I've replaced all the notable parts on my aux power supply & it still happens. I did just order a new board since PBR had them cheap enough. Fingers crossed this is the issue or else I'm really at a loss. I checked the grounds as well, everything seems tight & connected, no cracked joints at transformer panel connector.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bloomington, IL
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robx46.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-3-aux-power-issue-voltage-regulator?tu=robx46 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.