Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by mof
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I have some fully-functioning bright plasma system 9 alpha numeric displays in my Sorcerer that are failing to mount flat and vertical: Two problems:

1. When screwed in tight, they lean forward, and are no longer "well-glued together" - so they can scratch the backglass, and remove art.
2. They have no gaskets on them so they scratch the backglass.

So far, I've made sure my lamp board is mounted properly, and there's a good distance between the displays and the backglass, but they keep leaning forward.

1. Can someone speak to getting displays to lay flat again? glue? double-sided tape?
2. Are those gaskets that are glued on there obtainable? If not -- are there any other options beyond weather stripping?

thanks,
mof

I'll post some sad pictures later tonight...

#2 7 years ago

Excellent question. No answer. Anyone else?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I have some fully-functioning bright plasma system 9 alpha numeric displays in my Sorcerer that are failing to mount flat and vertical: Two problems:
1. When screwed in tight, they lean forward, and are no longer "well-glued together" - so they can scratch the backglass, and remove art.
2. They have no gaskets on them so they scratch the backglass.
So far, I've made sure my lamp board is mounted properly, and there's a good distance between the displays and the backglass, but they keep leaning forward.
1. Can someone speak to getting displays to lay flat again? glue? double-sided tape?
2. Are those gaskets that are glued on there obtainable? If not -- are there any other options beyond weather stripping?
thanks,
mof
I'll post some sad pictures later tonight...

I had a couple that the double sided tape was beat and replaced that and they were still close because of a bow on the light board. I took the white plastic spacers to Home Depot and got just a little shorter ones and put only on the inside 2 mounting posts. Everything flat and perfect space between the glass and boards.

#4 7 years ago

I have seen lots of williams displays pulling away from the boards, heck that adhesive is over 30 years old, I always scrap off the foam
behind the display and use a hot melt glue gun to glue them down, never had one pull off again and they sit tighter to the board so clearance shouldn't be a problem

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

double sided tape was beat

Is that what is stock from factory? (I've never dismantled one to know what the parts are)
-mof

#6 7 years ago

I use heavy duty double sided tape. Grey with a red backing. Clean both surfaces with alcohol first.
https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Heavy-Duty-Mounting-Clear/dp/B00004Z4BU#

Use foam insulation tape of the appropriate thickness as the light block.

#7 7 years ago

My system 6 used double sided white tape.

#9 7 years ago

a display glass flopping around needs to be fixed. It will eventually crack solder joints or worse, the leads will break in a way you cannot fix it.

double sided foam tape is what is typically used. Hot snot glue as recommended above is probably a good method too.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

double sided tape

It's working great. Very happy.

Are there any gaskets available for Williams displays?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-3-9-display-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.