Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 316 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by nats
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-607.jpg
    image-914.jpg
    hiscore.jpg
    image-931.jpg
    image-547.jpg
    DSCF8303.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    image-120.jpg
    image-446.jpg
    image-971.jpg
    image-605.jpg
    image-323.jpg
    image-242.jpg
    image-461.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tjsynkral.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 9 years ago

The machines are way undervalued, so people aren't selling them. When they do pop up, more often the machine is really beat up, like the mylar is peeling and inserts losing the paint, etc. So unless you're lucky and get a nice one, you end up buying a project to restore.

It seems like the only place I reliably find older machines for sale is at the expo/explosion. There was a Diner there last year, and since then not once have I seen one up for sale anywhere.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

I passed on a couple of ES at Allentown due to price. They are getting harder to find

That's funny... You complain about how scarce they are but won't pay a higher price. I'm curious what they were asking that made you turn up your nose.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I am looking for a project or players grade Whirlwind (just like everyone else) if anyone has one they are looking to get rid of. I have found a BK2K that I want but the seller won't sell it till he can go get the back glass from his friends house. For the dollar, system 11s are where it's at.

The backglass is pretty important for BK2K. One of the best ones in pinball.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Perfect example:
    columbus.craigslist.org link

To me that seems like a reasonable ask for the machine pictured. I wouldn't pay it because I think RBG is a boring game, but it seems reasonable. If you won't pay it maybe someone else would.

#49 9 years ago

Below $2000 for any System 11 with no significant defects is a good deal IMO.

If the playfield is damaged, sure, it should be sub $1,000. But for a nice one, I'd generally pay up to $2,000 for a machine I want. You have to consider how hard it is to find a machine from 25 years ago that hasn't taken a beating. Both those CL posts seem good (though there is often a problem that's not so obvious from the photos, and that's when it's time to haggle or walk).

Of course, Chicago is one of the first cities to get pinflated. Every machine is more expensive here. A seller in another area may have a great price but no buyers! A wise seller in those areas would stay firm on the price and lug the machine to expo if it doesn't sell.

#51 9 years ago

What does a fully working Whirlwind with broke plastics, cracked ramps at entry, and this kind of playfield wear bring???

whirlwind playfield.png 2.4 MB

Maybe someone will buy it for a couple hundred and build a virtual pin.

#57 9 years ago

Hahaha. Right. If I could buy a working Whirlwind for $200 if be all over it. The guy wants a grand for it.

I will say though that my DND playfield was *almost* that bad, and I got it restored, and it looks and plays great now. There hasn't been another DND for sale in my area since I bought it.
    IMG_1477.JPGIMG_1477.JPG
    Bally DnD Playfield Lower.jpgBally DnD Playfield Lower.jpg

#135 9 years ago
    Quoted from TrainH2o:

After owning several WPC games, I find troubleshooting a System 11 trying. I got used to knowing exactly where to look, for issues on the board and connectors.
    I have a switch column out now, on my F14. Time to dig some more.

The diagnostics on Sys11 are great though. Try troubleshooting a Bally 6803

2 weeks later
    #233 9 years ago

Somebody needs to tell me where people are finding $1200 Taxis in 2014. I call bullshit. I think people are saying this because they want to buy one.

#289 9 years ago

I'd rank BK2K higher than HS, SOF, WW, etc. But that one strangely hasn't dried up as much as the others. It's pretty easy to find, maybe not at a great price.

I'm pretty happy with mine. The aggravating thing is how hard these machines are to restore. Your best bet is to leave the original mylar on it and don't mess with it.

#296 9 years ago

BK2K has just about the coolest light and sound of any game. However, I must agree. Whirlwind is a far superior game. That being said, I know where a BK2K is and I am dying to get my hands on it lol. It is an awesome game.

Meh. I like to call WW "Jurassic Park without dinosaurs."

#309 9 years ago

If you're playing for score, pretty much any machine will have just one strategy (e.g. Go for the super jackpot) and you ignore the other 95% of the gameplay that's available.

That doesn't mean it isn't there.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tjsynkral.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11s-drying-up?tu=tjsynkral and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.