(Topic ID: 190827)

System 11c Display issue, single digit broken.

By McSquid

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by McSquid
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2017-06-25 16.27.09 (resized).jpg
start new topic (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

I have a Rollergames with a display that works fine except for the last digit on the bottom row. I get some flickering and parts of the left side of whatever Character will display, but its still mostly broken. This is a crappy digit to have broken as it is used for the game adjustments. Where do I start troubleshooting? I have replaced all power supply caps, and I did the 91v diode mod to increase the life of the display as part of general bullet proofing already if it matters.

#2 6 years ago

I assume you resoldered the pins on the display glass/header pins? It could be beginning to outgas also.

#3 6 years ago

Yes those were redone. If outgassing has begun is there any way of stopping it or is it just a watch it slowly die kind of thing

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Yes those were redone. If outgassing has begun is there any way of stopping it or is it just a watch it slowly die kind of thing

Nope, all these displays have a finite lifespan and eventually they will all succumb to outgassing. My TSPP is starting to fade and I am trying not to buy a ColorDMD to replace it. Simply because I know that once I do, all my other machines will pale in comparison, thus making me spend more money, haha.

However, if you have another junk display with good glass lying around, you can swap the glass. I did that with my Funhouse by using a junked Taxi display and it's been working solid for the 4 years I've had the game.

#5 6 years ago

I had the exact same thing happen on my Rollergames (same issue/same part of the display) I tried swapping out the ribbon cable but that didn't help. Oddly, after a couple of weeks the issue went away and hasn't come back (knock on wood). Not sure why, but maybe the issue will resolve for you. Note, I don't believe it's a gassing issue.

#6 6 years ago

Hmm interesting. I barely notice during gameplay, but after just finishing a restore job every little thing bothers me when the rest looks so nice. If it fixes itself great, if not ill probably poke at it every once in a while until I figure it out or it dies of outgassing.

#7 6 years ago

I've done some digging into this problem and found a Bally display repair guide that had this to say:

"One digit is out on one of the displays

If you have a single digit out, then it's probably the the level shifter and digit driver transistors for that digit."

He goes on to conveniently list and label those transistors for Bally games, but no such luck for us Williams folk.

This excerpt is from a Williams display troubleshooting guide:
If you are having display problems (and you have fixed the power supply board), the next course of action is to check the UDN6118 and UDN7180 chips on the Master display board. The UDN6118's control the strobe pulses, and the UDN7180 control each segment in the display. Usually the UDN7180 is the one that fails (and are unfortunately hard to get and somewhat expensive). There are as many as four UDN7180's and UDN6118 chips on the master display board.

I'm looking at the schematic for this thing and see that each display (2 x 16 digit displays) has its own pair of each chip, so that narrows it down a bit more. It further tells us that UDN7180 controls segments. the schematic labels the segments that each pin of the 2 chips control, and this is NOT digit specific. If you have the same segment out on all digits this is probably the problem, but that's not my issue. So I have narrowed it down to the 2 6118 chips that control Strobe pulses (U17 and U18.) The schematic labels the output of these chips as STB 1-16 (googling STB reveals its just short for strobe) we have 16 digits and 16 strobe signals. Its an assumption, but if those numbers correspond to digits left to right then it seems U18 is my problem.

I'm going to grab a few IC sockets from radioshack today, desolder the 6118 chips and swap them. In theory if the problem digit moves, then I have identified the bad chip. If its fixed, It was a solder joint on one of these chips. If nothing changes, I'm out $2 and back to the drawing board.

#8 6 years ago

Swapped the chips. No change. So the issue doesn't appear to be the 6118 chips. I'm ordering chips from marco anyway tonight (for sound roms) so ill grab one just in case, but i doubt it will help. Now on to the rest of the schematic. If I can figure out which resistor has something to do with that digit that's another thing to try. It will seriously suck if I somehow just have ONE outgassed digit.

#9 6 years ago

I have no idea how to start a new thread.. I am looking for a pinball repair person around the Austin TX for my Rollergames machine. Some switch checking, lightbulb replacing(?), general maintenance. Anyone have a recommendation?

#10 6 years ago

I giving up for now. I cannot find any new information to act on, and I don't know enough to get anything else out of the schematics. If anyone comes across this thread has something I can try for a single digit that is mostly out but still getting a signal as to what to change to, that isnt a 6118 chip problem, please let me know. I can provide video if it helps

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Sckully:

I have no idea how to start a new thread.. I am looking for a pinball repair person around the Austin TX for my Rollergames machine. Some switch checking, lightbulb replacing(?), general maintenance. Anyone have a recommendation?

Click on Front Page at the top and you will see the tab for starting a new topic.
start new topic (resized).pngstart new topic (resized).png

2 weeks later
#12 6 years ago

Following up for archiving purposes. I fixed the issue by replacing the bottom display with a known working display from a scrap board I bought.

2017-06-25 16.27.09 (resized).jpg2017-06-25 16.27.09 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11c-display-issue-single-digit-broken?hl=mcsquid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.