Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by ModCity
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Cross posting this from another forum to see if anyone here has any ideas.

Ok, first time shop job blues have just set in hard.

Got everything to where we wanted it and re-inserted the playfield. Reconnected everything, held our breath, and turned it on. Backbox comes on, coin door comes on but nothing on the playfield. Display shows "adjustment failure," although we did replace the batteries with the intention of it resetting everything anyway. So we turn it off to see if we missed any plugs.

Not seeing anything, we turned it back on to check diagnostics and so forth. After about five minutes the varistor (vr1) on the APD board blew. Damn! Quite a sparks and light show, for sure. The board itself look OK, just dirty and now in need of a cleaning. And of course, it needs a new varistor.

Does anyone have any idea where to start with this? This is relatively new territory to me. I'm not worried about replacing the varistor, that can be done. But it would help to know where to start looking.

#2 11 years ago

It sounds a lot like there's a connector that isn't where it belongs, but assuming the connectors are good...

First you'll need to replace the varistor. You may want a couple of spares in case you blow another one, but since it took 5 minutes to blow, you can probably avoid that. After that, I would probably start by unplugging J1, J2, and J3. With those unplugged, turn the machine on and feel VR1 to see if it starts getting warm/hot. If it does start to get hot, turn off the machine. If it doesn't, plug in J1 and check, plug in J2 and check, and then plug in J3 and check. Make sure the machine is off as you're plugging and unplugging.

After that, come back and tell us what happened.

#3 11 years ago

Thanks, rancegt. We rechecked the plugs and all appear to be right where they're supposed to be. Still not sure what's up with the no power going to the playfield, but new varistors are on the way and we we'll try to give you an update as soon as we can.

Thanks again for any help, everyone.

1 month later
#4 11 years ago

Ok, update. We replaced the varistor and still got the "adjustment failure" message. This time I backed it out of that through the cabinet door buttons and got to "factory restored," and the game reset and popped on! The varistor does not seem to be heating up at all with all plugs in.

Only problem now - there's no general illumination at all. We checked the plugs on the interconnect board and they seem decent. Fuses on that board also tested good. Backbox lights working fine. Flashers and solenoids all seem to work well and game plays, just dark.

We noticed there was no plug in the J9 position on the interconnect board. It's labeled "lower playfield GI." We're 99 percent sure there was no plug there when we took the playfield out, but thought I'd ask if anyone knows for sure.

Thanks to all for any help!

#5 11 years ago

Did GI ever work?

Follow the GI wires from the rear playfield light sockets....do they lead to a connector?

#6 11 years ago

Yes, they worked fine up until playfield removal. Tracing wires is probably next on the agenda at this point. Thanks.

#7 11 years ago

Don't know if this will help or not, but when I brought mine home the GI in the pop bumpers and mostly everything under the ramp was out. I traced it back to j9!and reseated, need to repin, but that was the problem, so j9 is used.

#8 11 years ago

Do you mean J9 on the auxiliary power board or the interconnect board? We just noticed the connectors are the same size with the same key. We have a plug on the auxiliary power board and not the interconnect board. Should this be the other way around?

#9 11 years ago

Sorry I am not by my machine at the moment, but it's the long rectangle one under the CPU. I believe that's the interconnect board.

#10 11 years ago

Yeah, we don't have a plug there (and there are no loose ones anywhere we missed). We do have a plug in the J9 position on the auxiliary power driver board. We unplugged it and it changed nothing - still no GI but everything else seems to work. I have a feeling that plug is in the wrong position.

Anyone know if their Rollergames APD board uses the J9 slot? I took pictures when we disassembled but I can't find them now. Of course.

#11 11 years ago

Manual would help pinpoint where the connector goes, Adjustment failure is the batteries or the holder itself.

#13 11 years ago

Thank you, Brtlkat! I can't believe I didn't check ipdb for pics. We had the J9 connector on the wrong board! The lower GI is now back on, but we still don't have upper GI. The last time we had this problem it was a short by the pop bumpers glowing a fuse, but I think the fuses are good.

Personally I think it's weird to have two J9 connectors the same size and keyed the same. We should have watched closer, but still.

Halfway there. Gotta figure this out.

#14 11 years ago

The upper gi could be a cold solder joint on the pcb itself or could be the connector. You may have to take the pcb out of the machine and inspect it on the back side of the pcb for cold solder joints or a burned trace/pins so on.

#15 11 years ago

Again, you're referring to the interconnect board? I'm not sure which connector powers the upper GI. Unless it's all powered by the J9 connector labeled "lower playfield?" There is no connector labeled "upper playfield."

#16 11 years ago

Good, clear pictures can often sort out misunderstandings like you are experiencing here...

#17 11 years ago

Like I said, I took some but can't find them now. The GI that's out all appear to be strung together with the chain ending at the pop bumpers.

#18 11 years ago

Heh, ok. Once again, the pinball game humbles the student repairman. The reason that string of lights was out was because every single bulb on it had burned out! These lights were all brand new replacements that must have gotten fried when the varistor blew (J9 on the wrong board probably didn't help any).

Now we're down to one last problem - the battery/holder issue. Could be a lot worse, that's for sure. Thanks for all the help, everyone!

#19 11 years ago

Did you clear the message?

Clearing a “Factory Setting” or “Adjustment Error” Message.

To clear these messages, you first need to fix the problem (replace the batteries and/or battery holder, replace the U25 RAM, etc.). After this is done, turn the game on. Then press the center red coin door button into the down position. Now press the black button closest to the coin door. If you have an “adjustment error”, the game will beep and flash the “factory setting” message.

Once you have the “factory setting” message, press the black button closest to the coin door twice. Then move the center red button to the up position. Then press the black button closest to the coin door again (twice if you had an “adjustment error” message). The game should now go into attract mode.

#20 11 years ago

Not yet. The other half of my hobby team has been working on it at home while I've been at work today, so we haven't gotten to that yet. That's the next step, but it seems considerably less daunting than where we were just a couple weeks ago.

We weren't having that problem at all but we decided to replace the batteries along with my other machine on New Year's Day. Will take a closer look in the next few days. Thanks for that procedure on resetting the machine. Will try to let everyone know how it comes out.

#21 11 years ago

Ouchie.

I know this will seem extremely tedious, but you NEED a printout of the manual when you are disconnecting entire boards. Sure, the wire harness will mostly keep the shape of where things generally go, but Williams manuals at least are very good about telling you what goes on what plug and what color wires are at each pin. You can use this to cross-reference things as you're plugging them back in.

#22 11 years ago

I agree, Frax. This is a bit of a live and learn situation for us. Nothing like screwing something up to make you take the advice others have already given you more seriously. Now I know firsthand how easy it is to screw something like that up.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Did you clear the message?

Yes! Thanks for that procedure. The adjustment failure message is history and it's holding settings now. Only thing that isn't working now is the two leftmost flashers, but we're happy with it. Not going to worry about those for a while.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11c-auxiliary-power-driver-board-varistor-blowing-rollergames and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.