(Topic ID: 73751)

System 11b/c Sound but no Music Fix

By The_Director

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo (58).JPG

#1 10 years ago

Sure this isn't for all scenarios, but a fix that could easily go undetected, so figured I'd share.

I had a Sys 11 game that had sound but no music, not in test, gameplay, anything. Anyway, I pulled the Audio board and buzzed everything out, no cracked solder joints, obviously wasn't the amplifiers, everything looked clean and fine. All the ICs were socketed well and no corrosion. Looking closely over the entire board, I noticed the 3.57mhz crystal oscillator at X1 had a leg come off. Being a chicklet like component, it had been bent backwards some and one leg lead had completely come off, but it was hard to see until pushing it back some.

Anyway, new 3.57mhz crystal osciallator from Great Plains for like $1 and 5 minute fix. Sound and music back! Hope this info can maybe help someone else with this problem as somewhere to check.

photo (58).JPGphoto (58).JPG
    #3 10 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

Sure this isn't for all scenarios, but a fix that could easily go undetected, so figured I'd share.
    I had a Sys 11 game that had sound but no music, not in test, gameplay, anything. Anyway, I pulled the Audio board and buzzed everything out, no cracked solder joints, obviously wasn't the amplifiers, everything looked clean and fine. All the ICs were socketed well and no corrosion. Looking closely over the entire board, I noticed the 3.57mhz crystal oscillator at X1 had a leg come off. Being a chicklet like component, it had been bent backwards some and one leg lead had completely come off, but it was hard to see until pushing it back some.
    Anyway, new 3.57mhz crystal osciallator from Great Plains for like $1 and 5 minute fix. Sound and music back! Hope this info can maybe help someone else with this problem as somewhere to check.

photo (58).JPG 47 KB

For which game? I'd love to be able to turn off the music on a system 11, and keep the sound effects.
    -mof

#4 10 years ago

+1 on this fix. In any modern digital electronics the general rule of thumb is that the first thing to check is "power and clock (oscillator) first" Good job!

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

For which game? I'd love to be able to turn off the music on a system 11, and keep the sound effects.
    -mof

This was on a Mousin Around

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

-mof

For shame!

A lot of the soundtracks for System 11's are fantastic. I had a similar problem on Transporter, and the game was very lacking having only sound effects and speech!

-Mark

6 years later
    #7 4 years ago
    Quoted from marcos:

For shame!
    A lot of the soundtracks for System 11's are fantastic. I had a similar problem on Transporter, and the game was very lacking having only sound effects and speech!
    -Mark

opening up a 6 year old thread..I just grabbed a transporter doing the same thing..crystal seems fine..what was the cause of your issue?

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from CaptNRetro:

what was the cause of your issue?

The crystal lead was broken. Without a crystal, no clock, no processing...
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11bc-sound-but-no-music-fix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.