• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Axl
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988
#1 8 years ago

I have a TAXI that is giving me fits at the moment. I have an issue with 10 dead solenoids. all on the A/C switched circuit. I have a brand new power driver board in there, and I have tried other power driver boards and the problem does not move with the board, so it's not on there. I suspect either a mechanical ground interrupt under the playfield (this started after I had lifted the playfield for maintenance, but I haven't been able to find anything obvious) or perhaps a bad chip at u12. Any ideas? I have been digging at it for a while.

solenoids test as follows:
1a(ok)c(ok)
2a(ok)c(bad)
3a(bad)c(bad)
4a(bad)c(bad)
5a(ok)c(bad)
6a(bad)c(bad)
7a(bad)c(bad)
Rest are OK

#2 8 years ago

check your power under the playfield for those coils. Sounds like a disconnected wire between 1 and 2 c

#3 8 years ago

to be clear..you tried a new auxiliary power board in there and not the cpu/driver board

#4 8 years ago

Correct, I tried a new Aux power board. didn't correct the problem. I plan to go through again and check every coil. It's acting like a broken or grounded wire. as a chip problem would kill ALL the switched coils. At least, that's what I would think.

#5 8 years ago

Yup sounds like wiring to me too. Check for power at the coils and see what you find. Its only the grounds that get toggled so everything should have power all the time. As it started with a playfield lift...look for any pulled or out of place wires...Or anything touching anything it should not be and the like.

#6 8 years ago

No luck. No power to these coils. Also, I noticed the knocker fires when I turn off the game.

#7 8 years ago

aha. ok you need to follow the wire back from coil to coil until you find the bad/disconnected wire. Some of them work because they are 'daisy chained ' together so one off wire will affect all upstream. Look at the sides of the playfield or the back of the playfield. Anywhere a wire could have hung up while raising it up. It could have had a bad solder job and just been 'time to let go' while raising it.

The knocker or coils firing when game gets shut off is a known system 11 issue. Sometimes it happens sometimes it does not. Long story short it relates to the shutting down of the cpu and the way power gets shut down and bled off.

No harm done. Take it as it wants you to play one more game or its saying good by til next time.

#8 8 years ago

II've followed back and I'm not seeing the issue. Tomorrow I'll check all the cpu board connections and follow up after.

It's gotta be a wire because after all my fiddling, most of the flashers started working. Solenoids still dead.

#9 8 years ago

No worries...you'll get er! Its a wire or connector issue. Dig deeper tomorrow and report back. It will be something stupid. Connectors get stressed when playfield goes up too and solders do go cold etc... Stuff happens. All these system 11 games are getting pretty old now..

2 months later
#10 8 years ago

Anim8ormatt did you ever solve this?

Axl

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 109.00
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11b-solenoids-dead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.