(Topic ID: 267522)

System 11B power board issue (no "-12 volt" reading)

By Ranhorton

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Ranhorton
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ranhorton.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Yesterday I replaced all the capacitors on my Mousin' Around with these from Great Plains Electronics: https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=W12246-PEC-KIT

The game seems to be playing fine as far as I can tell, however, I'm noticing a couple of things and would love some help diagnosing/understanding.

- I'm not getting the system 11 "bong" when I turn the game on.
- Testing the TP 4 -12V with my DMM gives me a reading of 0.
- When I press the sound test button on the CPU I only get one test sound ("Jackpot!") instead of two test sounds like the manual mentions.

I have an aftermarket Great Lakes Modular interconnect board in the game (amazing board!) and the AC Relay "LED" light is on (which it's supposed to be lit I believe showing that the AC relay is working).

Would love and insight from you system 11 pros out there!
Thanks in advance.
-Ran

#2 3 years ago

Is it possible that this is a bridge rectifier issue and I should replace that as well?

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Can you be testing for A/C instead of D/C on you meter.

Great suggestion.
Gonna double check now.
Also gonna pull the board again and see if there is a bad solder joint on C9 capacitor.

#5 3 years ago

Great call GRUMPY!

I was still in AC instead of DC.
DC reading on the -12V test point gave me -14V reading.

Still can't figure out why I'm not getting the "bong" sound on setup or why the CPU sound test only registers "Jackpot" and not the 2nd accompanying sound.
I also can't figure out why I'm getting 10V on my +5V test point and +26V on my +12V test point.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Good.

Did you retest these on DC volts? Game would not work with these numbers.

I did.
Thankfully they all tested fine.
(I'm a moron for not double checking my DMM setting. I think covid-quarantine is frying my brain. Hahaha.)

Still don't understand why I'm not getting the System 11 "bong" when I turn the game on yet all the sounds are fine in test mode as well as during gameplay.
And why I don't get the 2 test tones when I manually press the sound test button on the CPU (only get the Mousin' Around "Jackpot" comment on repeat when i press the test button).

Totally bizarre.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Have you recapped the sound board?

Only recapped the Power Board.
Not the sound board.
Guess I can order new caps for the sound board and replace the old ones.

Wondering if the Flipper Fidelity speaker system I have in the game has anything to do with not hearing the "bong" and not hearing the 2 tones from the CPU sound test button?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sterling, VA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 23.95
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Camarillo, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Ranhorton.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11b-power-board-issue-no-12-volt-reading?tu=Ranhorton and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.