012.jpg
011.jpg
037.jpg
036.jpg
035.jpg
034.jpg
026.jpg
#1 9 years ago

When I use the flipper the general illumination fuse blows, the one in between the power supply and the GI wires for the coin door and the right side of the game. Then when using the flippers the flashers on the playfield and the back box light up, pretty bright too. I disconnected the coin door, and replaced the power supply with a new one. It worked for a couple of weeks, but it did it again. Has anyone heard of this?

#2 9 years ago

Take some very good pics of the flipper area that is causing this. Someone here will see whats wrong from them.

#3 9 years ago

Ok, thanks, I will do that.

#4 9 years ago

Here is a picture of how bright the flashers get when I hit the flippers.
026.jpg026.jpg

Here are some flipper coil assemblies pictures
034.jpg034.jpg
035.jpg035.jpg
036.jpg036.jpg
037.jpg037.jpg

#5 9 years ago

On pic #5 is there a burned off looking wire on the switch stack on that one flipper mech? Even enlarged, I cannot tell for sure, just something looks a bit crusty there.

#6 9 years ago

Are any of the capacitor wire touching metal. Those should be insulated with shrink tubing

#7 9 years ago

Can you take some with the P/F up against the backbox with out any angle, and not so much telephoto.

#8 9 years ago

On the left flipper, does the switch have a diode? The diode is clear to see on the right flipper but not the left. Also on the left flipper, double check that none of the tags that you solder to on the switches are touching each other, one or two look a bit bent over..

#9 9 years ago

Wrong place to post this. Moderator?

#10 9 years ago

Moved to early SS.

#11 9 years ago

Didn't anyone else besides me notice that these flipper coils are mounted backwards?

#12 9 years ago

Older style coils mounted this direction. The were rotated to prevent the lugs from breaking.

#13 9 years ago

Wrong....modern Williams' flipper coils were never mounted like they are in this game. This configuration will BREAK the lugs not protect them. Check the game's manual....

#14 9 years ago

I'll clarify. Older style flippers were mounted this way. Reading vids flipper rebuilding instructions advises to reverse them to prevent the lugs from breaking. Additional wire is sometimes needed if the leads are too short from the factory installation. My space shuttle and pinbot were installed this way. In addition the coil stop is notched for the coil peg. So clearly they intended this orientation at one time.

#15 9 years ago

You are correct. I apologize.

I completely overlooked the conical return springs. The front coil stop has no notch so you can't turn the coil around anyway. The front coil stop that is listed in the manual (01-7695) has the notch for the coil and the conical return spring seat. I wonder if this is when they were starting to change the orientation at the factory.

In line with the original post the right flipper coil has a broken index peg. Maybe the coil is bouncing around and touching something when you are playing the game.

#16 9 years ago

Hmmm....I don't think the flashers are supposed to come on at all when you hit the flippers. I would suggest running through the coil test in diagnostics. For peace of mind it would be nice to know if the flashers and coils are all coming on when they are actually supposed to.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Hmmm....I don't think the flashers are supposed to come on at all when you hit the flippers. I would suggest running through the coil test in diagnostics. For peace of mind it would be nice to know if the flashers and coils are all coming on when they are actually supposed to.

^^^^^^
This. Flashers aren't supposed to light up when just hitting the flippers on Cyclone. There is a lot of flasher activity in the game but the flippers alone aren't supposed to light the flashers.

My understanding is that you did a playfield swap here? I suspect you have something wired incorrectly. And there is no simple way to diagnose how you might have crossed a wire, especially if you're having GI problems as well.

viperrwk

#18 9 years ago

Edit: Do what NoTrashCouger and Vyper say first

These flippers looks really clean. Did you recently rebuild them? If so I would redo them and flip the coils like eeriepinball recommends. If the index peg is in the way just cut it off. Flipping it around will take the index peg out of play by keeping the lugs away from the coil stop. I would also insulate the capacitor legs to make sure they aren't grounding.

2 other things to check:
1. Make sure the eos switch is not grounded to the screws that hole the mounting tab to the plate. I have seen this happen when the side of the eos was resting on the screw heads.

2. Make sure the screws that hold the switches to the tab have not pierced the coil wrapper.

#19 9 years ago

If the flashers are LED, the will flash when hitting the flippers. I have the same problem on my Earthshaker and have yet to find a solution other than leaving some of the incandescent bulbs in place or putting resistors across the flasher circuit where the LED flashers are located (not recommended).

As for the GI fuse, my advice would be to check and make sure that nothing is grounding out the GI sockets when the flipper is fired. One of those GI bulbs looks pretty close to the flipper mech.

#20 9 years ago

Thank all you guys for your advice! I greatly appreciate it! I'm going to check everything you guys said and cover those diode ends. Now that I have the board out again, I'm going to follow every wire, clean them, and inspect them with a fine tooth comb. BTW Viper is correct, I did a playfield swap and rebuilt everything attached to the playfield. Everything is almost new, as a matter of fact the whole top of the playfield is completely new. As soon as I finish I'll perform a coil test just to see if the flashers light up. I would also like to ad, when I bought the pinball machine everything was fine for about a month. The gi fuse started blowing. At that time I decided to replace the playfield. I found one of the relays was burnt up from solder that had fallen on it, and I found the same with some light sockets. After I finished the board the gi problem still remained. I replaced the power supply and everything was fine for about 2 weeks, and then the gi lights went out again. Now not only are the gi fuses blowing, when I hit the flippers the flashers light up.

I want to thank you all again!

I just noticed this, does it make a difference? Pictures are larger now too.
011.jpg011.jpg
012.jpg012.jpg

Here you go GRUMPY
005.jpg005.jpg
006.jpg006.jpg
007.jpg007.jpg
008.jpg008.jpg

#21 9 years ago

You have been focusing on the flipper mechanism area mostly, but do realize that the GI is not directly related to any of the switches or wiring at the flippers. There is the possibility that something in the moving mechanisms are coming into contact with your GI circuit physically, perhaps a lamp socket or tab. Also, don't rule out something "geographically" away from the flippers themselves. Check around your cabinet switches as well. Bang on the table a little and make sure it isn't vibration related (for example, hitting the flippers causing a vibration that subsequently makes something contact the GI that shouldn't.

You've got four 5A fuses for the GI circuits, are all of these blowing? Or just some of them?

#22 9 years ago

Just one fuse is blowing. It is the white-yellow wire coming out from the power supply through the fuse that is blowing to the two white-yellow wires. one goes to the coin door, which I unplugged to rile that out, and the other wire goes to the left gi lighting. I completely removed the wires from the harness, inspected them and put them back. There wasn't anything wrong with those wires. That is why I replaced the power supply, and it worked for a while. This is why I'm so perplexed, not only did the gi fuse blow again but another problem arouse. What you said makes good sense, I hope it's something as simple as that. lol I just hope it isn't one of the circuit boards.
050.jpg050.jpg

#23 9 years ago

You need to check your GI relay and the ferris wheel relay as they go over the copper gi wires. Could the traces be touching the bare copper? Also Gi relay wire is not fully seated. I didn't know that you did a P/F swap, you will need to triple check some of the wiring.

#24 9 years ago

It is the yel/wht string going under the relays.

#25 9 years ago

Are flashlamps that are comming on with the flippers 3c 4c 6c 7c ? If so its because they are LEDs. If you change back to #89 bulbs this will stop. You can remove some diodes on the aux power supply and add diodes to the coils if you want to run LEDs.

#26 9 years ago

Nice job on the playfield. Underside looks great for a sys 11.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Are flashlamps that are comming on with the flippers 3c 4c 6c 7c ? If so its because they are LEDs. If you change back to #89 bulbs this will stop. You can remove some diodes on the aux power supply and add diodes to the coils if you want to run LEDs.

Do you know more about which diodes need to be bypassed to stop the flippers from back-feeding voltage to the LED flashers?

I have been trying to look for a solution to this issue for a while now.

Thanks,
--Scott

#28 9 years ago

The diodes were move from the coils to the aux power driver board. That way when you change a coil it didn't matter which wire went where. To run LEDS you need to remove these doides (D3 D4 D6 D7) from the aux power driver board and reinstall them on solenoid 3 4 6 7 in the correct way. Look in the manual to find which is the power wire and install diode band facing toward the power wire. This is the same on all 11b and 11c games.

4 weeks later
#29 9 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

remove these doides (D3 D4 D6 D7) from the aux power driver board and reinstall them on solenoid 3 4 6 7 in the correct way.

I had been meaning to fix this on my two sys 11, just did it.. works great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11b-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.