Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0216 (resized).jpg
IMG_0224 (resized).jpg
IMG_0159 (resized).JPG
IMG_0148 (resized).JPG
IMG_0146 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I just finished a complete teardown rebuild of my Earthshaker- super happy with it; plays like new!

I have one outstanding issue with display 2: The "b" segment on display two is always lit (see picture.)

b segment on display 2 always litb segment on display 2 always lit

This is the troubleshooting I've done so far:
-Verified continuity for this segment from J5 pin 8 on the display board all the way back to U51 pin 11 on the CPU board so I don't believe it's a bad wire/connection or broken trace.
-This b segment stays lit even if I completely unplug J5 from the display board- This leads me to believe it's an issue on the display board itself.

Any suggestions from this point? I believe this segment passes through U20 on the display board but I'm unsure of how to test that. (I do have a logic probe on the way if that would help.)

Thanks in advance!
-Mike

#2 7 years ago

The only other thing I noticed was that the leg (4) for segment b was pressed up against resistor 68. Wouldn't think that would cause a short but adjusted it away just in case. No change.

IMG_0148 (resized).JPGIMG_0148 (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

Have you checked the "Pinwiki" site regarding display fixes? I'm not too experienced repairing or diagnosing these boards, so I'll defer my expertise to the more experienced. However, I read a bit on the site, and it looks like the UDN chips that control the segments are very static sensitive and prone to failure.

I'll drop you the link here.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Display_problems

Good luck

#4 7 years ago

Thanks mbaumle - I just went through the procedures on the link you provided testing the UDN chips in diode mode but they seem to be fine.

One other thing I just noticed- R19 and U5 appear to have been previously replaced. I hadn't even been looking on that side of the board. They appear to test ok... wondering if they could be somehow related though.

Am I making the right assumption that if the segment is still on even when the related cable/connector is removed from the display board that it's definitely an issue with the display board and not something in the CPU board?

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

Am I making the right assumption that if the segment is still on even when the related cable/connector is removed from the display board that it's definitely an issue with the display board and not something in the CPU board?

I would think that's a decent assumption, and focus on the master display driver. I would triple check all the resistors to make sure they're within 10% specs.

#6 7 years ago

MPU board can cause display issues. Can you post a picture of the MPU board? I am interested in seeing if there is any battery corrosion.

Sometimes even reseating the ribbon cable at both ends could solve some display issues. Though, my money is on the PIA under the battery pack having some battery corrosion.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

Yes. Start with U-11 pin 14 and 15. Check these with your logic probe. Also ohm R-28.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Yes. Start with U-11 pin 14 and 15. Check these with your logic probe. Also ohm R-28.

GRUMPY - R-28 is measuring at 1.3k. The other in that same bank are ~17k. I'm color blind and don't trust my eyes to decipher the color bands on the resistors but I'm assuming R-28 is supposed to measure 17k as well? I just checked pin 14 and 15 on U-11 and neither is pulsing while in display test (compared to pins 3 and 2 for the a segment which both had pulses.)

PinballManiac40 Didn't notice any obvious corrosion on the MPU; just tried taking a picture with cell phone but quality not good enough; will need to wait until I have my nice camera. This particular segment doesn't go through the ribbon cable between the MPU and display board, it's on a regular harness (1J3 from the MPU)

Also, first time using a logic probe! woot!

Thanks all for the assistance!

#9 7 years ago

Remove J-5 off the display and remeasure R-28 (18k ohms). Replace if needed.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Remove J-5 off the display and remeasure R-28 (18k ohms). Replace if needed.

I measured with J-5 disconnected last night, but today when I double checked with all cables removed from the board today both R-28 and R-29 measures ~12k ohms. I'll replace both of those.

IMG_0159 (resized).JPGIMG_0159 (resized).JPG

#11 7 years ago

I replaced R-28 and R-29 this morning... however there appears to be something else going on. Once I removed R-28 and R-29 both resistors tested fine (~18k ohms) out of circuit. I replaced them with new since they were already out but the readings in-circuit on R-28 and R-29 are both still low- 12k ohms. I'm guessing this means there's a short somewhere? I don't see anything amiss following the traces from both resistors- is it possible the short/problem is in the U-11 chip itself?

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

is it possible the short/problem is in the U-11 chip itself?

I was thinking it was U-11 all the time but its a real pain to replace and the resistors are out in the open. Now the fun begins!

#13 7 years ago

I think you are too far upstream in diagnosing this problem because display #1 looks fine in your pic. I would check U20 UDN7180 (runs the 'b' segments for display #2) This appears to be the same problem described in the repair wiki, except that your symptom shows on display #2, not display #1.

"Problem: segment 'b' (top right) always on for players 1 and 2, and ball-in-play score display (but not credit display!).

Answer: looking at the display board schematic found that U13, U14 (UDN7180) are common components to these displays. Chip U13 drives segments "h,j,k,m,n,p,r" and the period, while U14 drives "a" to "g" and the comma. Since UDN7180's are becoming rare and are expensive, the input and output signals were double checked by comparing them with a logic probe (or an oscilloscope). Putting the game in display test so it could be single stepped to the next digit test (all zeros, 1's, 2's, etc). On chip U14, the input pins 1-8 showed activity and changed when I advanced to the next digit test. Next tested the U14 output pins 11-18. The output pin 18 (for the "b" segment) was constant and did not change when the test was advanced. The conclusion was to removed and replace the UDN7180 at U14 (after installing a socket), which fixed the problem."

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I was thinking it was U-11 all the time but its a real pain to replace and the resistors are out in the open. Now the fun begins!

Thanks GRUMPY - For the U-11 chip I believe it is this 4050 chip https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=4050. Not nearly as easy to replace....

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I think you are too far upstream in diagnosing this problem because display #1 looks fine in your pic. I would check U20 UDN7180 (runs the 'b' segments for display #2)

Display 1 runs through a different chip than U-11- On the equivalent display 1 chip I get pulses with a logic probe- On U11 I'm not getting any pulses for the b segment on U-11. Pretty sure that means my problem is higher than the UDN7180.... wouldn't say 100% sure though.

-Mike

#16 7 years ago

One page of the manual says 4049 and another says 4050. I would look at the chip on the display board to be sure.

1 week later
#17 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

One page of the manual says 4049 and another says 4050. I would look at the chip on the display board to be sure.

Turns out they are 4049s. Had some 4050s on hand but will need to order the 4049s. Are all 4049s interchangeable? I.E. can I replace the TC4049BP that's currently on the board with a CD4049UBE?

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

Are all 4049s interchangeable?

That's a good question and I don't have a good answer. Maybe ask at GPE as he is very knowledgeable about what he sells.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

That's a good question and I don't have a good answer. Maybe ask at GPE as he is very knowledgeable about what he sells.

My 4050s came from GPE . . They're closed until the New Year. Based on some research I did earlier today it seems that 4049s are interchangeable; ordered some today from another source that will hopefully be here this weekend.

1 week later
#20 7 years ago

Success! Replacing the 4049 at U11 resolved the issue. Thanks to everyone who responded, especially GRUMPY for the guidance!

The original chip at U11 was a TC4049B. I replaced it with a CD4049UBE, which I can now confirm is interchangeable.

IMG_0224 (resized).jpgIMG_0224 (resized).jpg

IMG_0216 (resized).jpgIMG_0216 (resized).jpg

#21 7 years ago
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11b-earthshaker-display-segment-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.