1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RatShack
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Accidentally swapped 36 pin playfield connectors on a System 11A game while setting up for a show, not realizing they were color coded.

On the CPU board I get 5V but no blanking. Any ideas what typically gets smoked when these get swapped? Limited on what I can do but I can attempt to swap anything socketed if I can find it.

#2 1 year ago

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I know on system 6 it takes out lots of ics. I would try a new set of eeproms and if that doesnt work send the board for repair. Lots depend on how long game was powered up in this condition as well.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I know on system 6 it takes out lots of ics. I would try a new set of eeproms and if that doesnt work send the board for repair. Lots depend on how long game was powered up in this condition as well.

A few seconds. A few chips are visibly shiny so I think they're the ones that got baked. I'll have the board on the bench next week and figure out how bad it is.

#4 1 year ago

Quite a bit can be smoked, but the ROMs are a good start.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

4 months later
    #5 1 year ago

Got this board on the bench, making progress. Sometimes when I power it up it will flash the diagnostics LED but usually not (Why?)

-The magic smoke came out in the general area of U38. Display showed a very bright 0 in the 11th or 12th position on the top row.
    -Pulled the ROMs and verified good.
    -Replaced & socketed PIA U38 & U51
    -Leon's test rom will run, verified 2-17 are toggling on those 2 PIAs

When the diagnostic test runs, I get 3 long flashes followed by a very short pulse before repeating. Is this code 3 (U51) or 4 (U38)?

Next planned step is to pull the SN74154 in U44 and see if that affects the diagnostics test. If not, pull and test U30, U39, and U40. Would like some clarity before I start pulling parts. Any other ideas?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11a-swapped-pf-connectors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.