• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

201501-HS-39k-ok.jpg
201501-HS-display3-4-5-noise.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I just finished a playfield swap on a High Speed, and now it's time to sweat the details.

I have a set of original good displays with no missing segments, but there is what I would call "noise" in the system.

When in display test, and the little dancing "asterisk" cruises from display 1 to display 2 character by character, individual cells light up a little bit in the corresponding column in the display below it. I'll include a picture.

When I boot up, and there have been no letters drawn yet -- there is no noise. It seems to be a symptom of drawing elsewhere.

I'm a novice with troubleshooting displays, so I hope to learn a lot. I have an extra set of 11A displays (player 1, 2 + "5" only) that I can swap in and out and try reseating cables, and as I learn more, I'll post more.

I'm starting with the standard sys11 reference: http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index3.htm#display

thanks!
-mof

201501-HS-display3-4-5-noise.jpg201501-HS-display3-4-5-noise.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Step1: check power from power board.

"These voltages should be from 95 to 105 volts."

expect/actual (vdc):

3J5
pin1: ground,ground
pin3: -100, -106
pin4: 100,100
pin6: 5,5

-mof

#3 9 years ago

Step2: Check the two 39k ohm resistors @ R1 and R4.

They check out with 39k ohm resistance each.

-mof

201501-HS-39k-ok.jpg201501-HS-39k-ok.jpg
#4 9 years ago

I have a Grand Lizard, I am going to try swapping components.
-mof

#5 9 years ago

1. Swapped Main ribbon cable. No change.

Any ideas on what is likely causing this?

-mof

#6 9 years ago

2. I tried swapping master display boards. No change.
-mof

#7 9 years ago

I'm starting to wonder about the MPU, and what vulnerabilities could be there that could lead to this "noise"...

-mof

#8 9 years ago

For kicks, I installed Pinscores on the High Speed, and they display perfectly.
-mof

#9 9 years ago

Now I'm very confused. I put the High Speed display board AND the 5 displays and 5 ribbon cables over in the Grand Lizard, and the problem migrated into the Grand Lizard.

-mof

#10 9 years ago

How can you be confused? Now you know that the problem lies in the displays. You can fiddle with the Aphla-Numeric displays, or just buy and install a new set, and be done with this issue.

#11 9 years ago

My pinbot does the exact same thing. Annoying as crap. I plan on eventually buying a new set of LEDs when I shop the game next but for now I am just playing the crap out of it. Lol. On mine if I swing the white door open away from the speaker panel it quits

#12 9 years ago

Wondering the most common causes of display noise as described in this thread. Also looking for resources where I can learn more about displays and how to troubleshoot them.

thanks,
mof

#13 9 years ago

You swapped the whole setup minus the cpu/power supply to another game and the problem migrated.... you swapped individual display drivers and cables and the problem stayed.

That narrows it down to the displays themselves. It sounds like one or more of your individual glasses is starting to go bad and backfeeding to the driver board causing it to misfire individual segments on another display.

swap out individual displays and see what happens. Most likely display one since it's the one that IS supposed to be on when the others are ghosting.

#14 9 years ago

More data:

I swapped Display #5 (player #/ball #) and I get the same exact noise on both of them.

BUT

When I swap displays #1,2 with another set of Displays #1,2 from another set I have, the noise goes away.

So I have evidence that some noise goes away with a swap, and some noise does not.

Fascinating.

-mof

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11a-display-noise and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.