You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

201501-GL-dead-display3.jpg
201501-GL-dead-display2.jpg
201501-GL-dead-display1.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I have two Displays (3 and 4) from a Grand Lizard that are not functioning (they never did when I bought the game.)

I'm new to learning about displays, and so I'm looking for both links to learn more, and advice.

A few things I've noticed...
1. I ran continuity test on all pins, and they all seem to be good.
2. I have not re-flowed the pins
3. I have swapped in other displays in the same spot, so they work, so I know the display system is working ok
4. I noticed that the displays from the High Speed have nipples on the back. The ones for the Grand Lizard do not. I find that odd.
5. The displays have "523" stickers on them which is in fact Grand Lizard. They belong with the game (assuming some idiot didn't swap stickers)

Thanks for links to learn more, and ideas on how to troubleshoot/remedy

-mof

#2 9 years ago

Here are the pics...
-mof

201501-GL-dead-display1.jpg201501-GL-dead-display1.jpg201501-GL-dead-display2.jpg201501-GL-dead-display2.jpg201501-GL-dead-display3.jpg201501-GL-dead-display3.jpg

#3 9 years ago

Looks outgassed to me. try a different glass. If you have new glass on hand, when the game is running, you can line up the pins on the new glass, touch them on the existing pins, if the new glass lights up at all, you know the glass needs to be changed.

#4 9 years ago

These look outgassed.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Looks outgassed to me. try a different glass. If you have new glass on hand, when the game is running, you can line up the pins on the new glass, touch them on the existing pins, if the new glass lights up at all, you know the glass needs to be changed.

Quoted from thedefog:

These look outgassed.

Holy cats, what does "outgassed" look like? -- want to learn.
-mof

#6 9 years ago

I've always thought an outgassed display looked lighter in the digits. Almost like the gas was a wetting agent and kept the segments closer on color to the glass itself. Additionally outgassed segments tend to look soft around the sides.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Holy cats, what does "outgassed" look like? -- want to learn.
-mof

Usually, you can tell by looking at the segments. if you notice some have a whitish color to them, and others are more black. that lets you know you have some kind of burn in going on there. Also, sometimes you will see little bubbles in the segments, this usually means those segments are toasted, or the whole display won't work.

#8 9 years ago

What about if they look sparkly? I have some displays I am looking at and sometimes both left don't work and one them looks sparkly and the other looks fine.

Is it possible that the resistor on the left side for the voltage is not working properly and just a single side of displays doesn't work?

I am just now looking at all my displays and am following pinwiki sys11 displays.

#9 9 years ago

only sparkly display I have is one that looks like someone dropped it and it shattered one of the inner layers of glass. Glass on the outside looks fine, but it looks like there is tons of glitter inside. Needless to say, they don't work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11a-dead-displays and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.