• Latest reply 5 years ago by McSquid
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180722_092441 (resized).jpg
FJIMG_20180721_230631 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider McSquid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I just finished putting my BK2K restoration back together, and I go to turn it on and it won't boot. It was working fine before I tore the playfields down, but it did sit for 4-5 months while I finished everything else.

I had pulled each board and serviced them before tearing the playfields down. Battery holder removed, NVRAM added, latest roms burned, all connector pins reflowed. I got lucky and there is no corrosion on any of the boards. New PSU caps, LED display so no high voltage, All tested and working afterwards.

When I boot it I get a solid 5v LED and no flashes or activity from either blanking or diagnostics. This is the same if the board is booted with only J17 connected.

I have verified my game roms in the reader/programmer (and like everything else they had tested working before), The readings from the voltage test points are good on the MPU and psu, I tried another NVRAM chip I have yet to install in my ToM, I've started checking what chips I can with my DMM, all chips get 5v where they should. I tried shorting pin 40 on u15 to see if it was the reset circuit, but no luck. I'm running out of things to try.

Any ideas for things to try next? I don't have a logic probe or another board to test in unfortunately.

FJIMG_20180721_230631 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20180721_230631 (resized).jpg

#6 5 years ago

You are correct about the jumper for the NVRAM, I switched it to match when I serviced the board and it was tested working.

EDIT: I misunderstood, it seems I flipped U15 around when reseating it like an idiot. I'll sort that out, doubt it's the only problem though.

#7 5 years ago

Fixed but no change. Is it possible being installed backwards could have killed this chip? Either way, I had this problem before reseating it, so there is more going on.

#9 5 years ago

Logic probe will arrive from amazon tomorrow. Got a friend with some replacement chips and a board i can test on, but he is going to pinburg so looks like ill be waiting a while.

#10 5 years ago

Managed to get a working system 11 (no letter) board to test with. Amazon sent me the wrong product. A "circuit tester" which won't show logic waves. Correct tool en route.

I snagged the working 6802 chips from the test board, no change. Still solid 5v LED and nothing from the others.

I was able to verify that pin 40 on u15 does stay low for about a quarter second and then go high and stay high after that, so it appears the reset is working.

#11 5 years ago

Also,
The system 11 test board boots with My 6802 chips in it, so looks like those are fine.

#12 5 years ago

SOLVED.
Board doesn't like the new eeproms even though they verify in the programmer. I found the old eeprom chips and plugged them in for sanity and the board boots. Installed back in the game and the game boots too. Thanks for the help everyone. Don't trust your eeprom programmer =P

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Peekskill, NY
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Titusville, FL
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider McSquid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-won-t-boot?tu=McSquid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.