(Topic ID: 128161)

System 11. What is needed for game to start?

By OpFlash

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by OpFlash
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Ok so im in the process of attempting to trouble shoot my GL. Ive started an older thread discussing the specific problem. What im wondering is thinking from just the playfield side of things what needs to be working, wired correctly, etc for the game to properly start. Im talking about a machine that is already powered up and in its attract mode.

Besides pressing the start button obviously. Im thinking about what circuits / switches if not working properly will not allow the game to begin. Trough switches, coin door wiring, start button? Looking for a way to narrow down why when I press the start button all that happens is the multi ball and center out hole coils fire and nothing else happens. I can get the game to start but only by holding down the center outhole microswitch while pressing the button. ( this however is fooling the game because even though ball 1 gets ejected when the game starts it doesn't recognize when that ball drains).

#2 8 years ago

That's probably the trough switches. For a game to start all balls must be accounted for and any tilt switch to not be closed.

#3 8 years ago

First thing I would do, take all balls out of the game, go into switch test and see which switches are registering, and which are not. Use a ball to activate the switches, not your finger. It will also show you if any are stuck closed.

#4 8 years ago

Make sure the correct number of balls are in the game and then go with the previous suggestions. The coils firing indicates the game is going into ball search because it can't find all the pinballs.

#5 8 years ago

something to push the start button? Finger....wiener....servant....big toe.

#6 8 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I can say that the game takes 3 balls and all three are installed. Have placed it into switch mode and I believe that the trough 1 doesn't always register with the ball but if I manually move the switch it seems to work. I did also try and adjust the micro switch. I will also check out the tilt switch but I can tell you that when manually thrown it does work.

#7 8 years ago

From first post sounds like trough switch is either bad or out of adjustment. Once u get playing you will become addicted to the Liz. Love mine, and it's so unforgiving.

#8 8 years ago

I am going to order up the rest of the micro switches for the entire trough section. I replaced the center with no success when initially trying to solve the issue. I would like to replace the diodes they are small with a grey band across them. Im going to try to look for a part number so I can order them.

#9 8 years ago

Parts ordered from pinball resource. Unfortunately the right trough or "ball 1" trough they do not have. I did order the diodes for the switches also. Going to hunt down the other switch and then do the overhaul and post back. Im really hoping to fix this!

#10 8 years ago

If you can manually activate the switches and they show up in test consistantly. they are fine....do not replace them. Adjust them so they activate when a ball depresses them and you are good to go.
Also the diodes are 1n4004 common diodes bought from anywhere that sells electronics.

#11 8 years ago

1. Maybe I missed it but does the game "credit up"? It will never start without a credit, unless on free play.

#12 8 years ago

Game is set to free play. I placed the order through prior to seeing the most recent posts. I will go in there and attempt to adjust the switches again. I will also try and explain exactly the steps that I am taking when doing so just incase I have missed something along the way. Appreciate the help.

Can the switch still register when a diode is bad?? Wondering if maybe the diode is bad and not allowing the switch to work properly.

1 week later
#13 8 years ago

Update. Had some time to look at the machine today. Went into switch test and consistently ball 1 trough was having issues. Looking into it further a wire from ball 1 trough connects to 2 trough but the wire was connected so poorly that when moving it slightly it broke off. I didn't have all my tools with me ( games at parents house) so I had to use a real old soldering iron to get the wire back on. It was quick and dirty and not the easiest with the playfield up but got it connected. The game is starting more often but then every once in a while its not recognizing when balls drain down the center... Im going to go in there with time and my soldering station and reflow solder to all the trough micro switches and change the diodes. I will then attempt to re adjust switches again in the switch test and hopefully put this to rest.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-what-is-needed-for-game-to-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.