Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B114F91B-0722-4E07-A0FB-145D23BFA909 (resized).jpeg
Williams_volume_control_wiring_(resized).JPG
Gameshow_vol_after_(resized).JPG
Gameshow_vol_before_(resized).JPG
Gameshow_vol_res_(resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

My friend has a Riverboat Gambler machine where even when you turn the volume pot all the way down its still very loud. I'm thinking it may be a replacement potentiometer and the wrong value..? Anyone know what it should be, or if this isn't the issue what could cause not being able to turn the volume lower...

Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

I don't see it in the manual, but other System 11 machines use 10k ohm.

#3 8 years ago

Check for a min volume override setting in the menu and enable it.

Jack

#4 8 years ago

On many system 11 games Williams installed a resistor in series with the ground wire on the volume control. This prevents the volume from being turned down below a certain level (always too loud IMO). You need to remove that resistor and bypass it. Then you'll have full range of the volume. The Elvira manual shows the original factory wiring of the volume control and shows the value of the pot.

Gameshow_vol_res_(resized).JPGGameshow_vol_res_(resized).JPG
Gameshow_vol_before_(resized).JPGGameshow_vol_before_(resized).JPG
Gameshow_vol_after_(resized).JPGGameshow_vol_after_(resized).JPG

Williams_volume_control_wiring_(resized).JPGWilliams_volume_control_wiring_(resized).JPG

#5 8 years ago

I had the exact same problem. Ken's gotcha covered with the solution!

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from kyle5574:

I don't see it in the manual, but other System 11 machines use 10k ohm.

It wasn't shown in all manuals. I know for certain the wiring schematic is in the Elvira (EATPM) manual in cabinet wiring schematic.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Check for a min volume override setting in the menu and enable it.
Jack

That's for WPC games, not for System 11.

#8 8 years ago

Thank you everyone ... I'll go over my buddies house and check it out

5 years later
#9 2 years ago

I was blown away by how loud my Williams Police Force is with the pot turned down all the way. I'm going to try this resistor bypass tonight, but I have a feeling that I may still be looking for a lower range of volume than will be afforded. Is there a way to safely reduce the audio level by adding a resister ahead of the pot so that the total resistance is increased by the value of the new part? If so, I'm thinking I could maybe add a 5k ohm or something to put an overall power reduction in the output and allow me to actually use the range of adjustment. Thoughts appreciated.

5 months later
#10 2 years ago

I bypassed the resister using an alligator clip lead. Barely hear sound turned all the way down. Nice having the option of full sound range. Now I can ride the riverboat while jamming to Rage Against the Machine!

B114F91B-0722-4E07-A0FB-145D23BFA909 (resized).jpegB114F91B-0722-4E07-A0FB-145D23BFA909 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Electronics
Mod Magic!

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 30.00
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 50.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-volume-pot-value-game-too-loud?hl=barrymulvihill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.