(Topic ID: 330484)

System 11 U41

By Kanstiss

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Just looking for some guidance on a board I’m repairing. U41 and U42 have some corrosion damage on their legs. I was going to clean board, socket the chips and replace. Are these a ROM type chip or a RAM type chip? I don’t have a chip reader/burner so I wasn’t sure if these are just an off the shelf type part or if I need to write something to them.

#2 1 year ago

U41 and U42 are both 6821 peripheral interface adapters (PIA). These are common chips in the 6800 family, and are used as interface devices between the main processor (a 6801 in most cases) and the input/output devices (like the coils, and switch matrix). So they are neither RAM or ROM chips, and don't require any prep when replacing.

Let me just add that if you are replacing chips that have battery damage, they are somewhat difficult to remove without damaging the traces on the board. Your best bet is to use a small pair of clippers to cut the legs off the chips where they meet the plastic chip body. Then use a soldering iron to heat up each leg, and then pull them out one at a time with a small pair of pliers. Then go back and clean out the holes with a solder sucker. Board solder that has corrosion on it doesn't conduct heat well, so it may be best to try to heat up the legs from the backside (undamaged) side of the the board.

Good luck!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 70.00
$ 49.99
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

£ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 45.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 18.95
£ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Towson, MD
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-u41 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.