(Topic ID: 205111)

System 11 (Taxi) missing head key. Any suggestions?

By HisboyElroy

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DrilledLock (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I picked-up a Taxi recently and the previous owner didn't have the keys for the game. Fortunately the head bolts were not installed so I was able to fold-down the head to get it home. I drilled-out the coin door lock hoping to find the head key hanging inside but no such luck...

On System 11 games like Bad Cats and Taxi there are no external-facing security screws holding the lock in place. The lock is mounted to a bracket inside the head, and the lock cam connects to a rod that extends to the center of the head. I'm hesitant to drill the head lock because I'm afraid the cam will just fall and I'll lose any ability to move the rod that controls the sliding lock.

Has anybody found a trick for getting into these without the key?

#2 6 years ago

you can move rod by hand even without lock there. just drill, you'll be fine.

#3 6 years ago

my cyclone doesn't have lock there just leave rod up so you can get backglass in and out. once backglass is in it wont fall again.

#4 6 years ago

Thanks for your reply. How would I move the rod though? Assuming the latch is holding the glass in I wouldn't be able to get to the rod to move it... Are you able to manually move the latch at that point?

#5 6 years ago

Our solution is large flathead screwdriver plus a vise grip to turn it. Unless it's a quality lock, you can force it with a little effort. Or learn to pick locks! It's a fun hobby.

#6 6 years ago

Just for the record, I started with the flathead screwdriver per your suggestion, I liked that idea better than drilling. It just chewed-up the end of the lock though, so I started drilling slowly with a 1/4" bit. I found that if I altered the angle of the bit toward, then away from the tumblers I had a large enough cavity to extract the tumblers and springs. Careful not to drill too deep so you don't separate the lock from the cam.

Now that all tumblers and springs are removed I can turn the lock with a screwdriver. I will probably replace it anyway because it looks like ass but it was worth the time it took because I never lost control of the cam/rod and there were no metal shavings inside the head when I was finished.

Hope this helps someone.

DrilledLock (resized).JPGDrilledLock (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from HisboyElroy:

Just for the record, I started with the flathead screwdriver per your suggestion, I liked that idea better than drilling. It just chewed-up the end of the lock though, so I started drilling slowly with a 1/4" bit. I found that if I altered the angle of the bit toward, then away from the tumblers I had a large enough cavity to extract the tumblers and springs. Careful not to drill too deep so you don't separate the lock from the cam.
Now that all tumblers and springs are removed I can turn the lock with a screwdriver. I will probably replace it anyway because it looks like ass but it was worth the time it took because I never lost control of the cam/rod and there were no metal shavings inside the head when I was finished.
Hope this helps someone.

Finally found yourself a Taxi! Nice.

#8 6 years ago

Yup! I've had my ear to the ground for years and the stars finally lined-up! It has a few issues to sort-out but it's in beautiful cosmetic shape.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.00
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-taxi-missing-head-key-any-suggestions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.