(Topic ID: 266762)

System 11 Super Sad, Sluggish Bumpers (High Speed)

By DANGERTERROR

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

27CD7A8B-3D26-4403-8CE7-F5333E9C1F86 (resized).jpeg
    529D8E2B-5B79-4425-B1E2-DC63616E3706 (resized).jpeg
    B3430974-B042-4E88-BB65-D83581470D73 (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

No matter what I adjust, all three bumpers on a PF swapped high speed are incredibly limp and weak.

Any ideas on what could cause this? It’s weird that it’s all three... I replaced the switch stacks which have the cap/resistors which I’ve checked. Should be wired fine but could this be the caps?

B3430974-B042-4E88-BB65-D83581470D73 (resized).jpegB3430974-B042-4E88-BB65-D83581470D73 (resized).jpeg
    #2 4 years ago

35v at the lugs.

They just kinda weak plunge and I can hold them up with my finger. Little resistance. So frustrating.

#3 4 years ago

The cap/resistor form a timing circuit called an RC network (guess why!) - it's there to provide a minimum pulse time so the coil reaction isn't too short.

Pull the connector off the input and try grounding the input pins on your mpu board that control each pop see if it's better - if it is, you have a bad ground going to your activating switches.

The inputs for the special solenoids are connector J18. Don't dwell on the pins too long or you'll blow a fuse/transistor - just a touch like you were testing the coil under the playfield via the transistor tab.

There could be cracked headers on your mpu as well - if they've never been resoldered, might be time. Suck most of the solder off first, don't just glob new/more solder on.

2 weeks later
    #4 3 years ago

I tested this. Activating these pins absolutely fixes it and the coils fire much more powerfully.

What’s the remedy here? Just repin the Connector on MPU?

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

There could be cracked headers on your mpu as well - if they've never been resoldered, might be time. Suck most of the solder off first, don't just glob new/more solder on.

I would try this next.

#6 3 years ago

Ok: on it. Anything else it could be? Just because I am always wanting to learn!

#7 3 years ago

Replaced the connector with a trifurcon molex. No change.

I’m thinking it’s the new switch stacks I put in. They have different tabs than the originals and I think they just aren’t wired right.

529D8E2B-5B79-4425-B1E2-DC63616E3706 (resized).jpeg529D8E2B-5B79-4425-B1E2-DC63616E3706 (resized).jpeg
    #8 3 years ago

Originals

27CD7A8B-3D26-4403-8CE7-F5333E9C1F86 (resized).jpeg27CD7A8B-3D26-4403-8CE7-F5333E9C1F86 (resized).jpeg
    #9 3 years ago

You sure you have the correct value cap in the circuit and it's pointing the correct direction? Sometimes the old caps are marked with the line meaning +, not -. Even new ones are sometimes different.

The lack of a tie point for the cap/resistor connection has no bearing on the circuit, it's just a convenient tie point.

#10 3 years ago

Yet I still managed to screw it up! I really can’t see how.

I completely reversed one pop and went back to the old switch stack, cap, diode, and resistor. And pop was perfect.

I legitimately can’t see why. Everything should be wired the same, even without the tie points.

#11 3 years ago

Looks a bit like your new switches have large high current contact points, for direct connection to coil. These do not work very well with the CPU boards low current input.

#12 3 years ago

I have never heard of such a thing. Fascinating. That is probably it as getting the leaf contacts just so was also tremendously frustrating.

#13 3 years ago

That really is strange, one would think that if a contact works well with high current, it should be even better with low current. But I have run into similar problems before, with high current contacts in a Fliptronic EOS switch. Maybe it has something to do with the voltage, high current points being silver alloy, and low current points are gold plated. Silver gets oxidized and low voltage does not make through the oxide.

#14 3 years ago

I had a similar problem when I put the wrong switch contacts on my Getaway flipper buttons. High current ones didn’t work, only low current ones did.
    Hmph....

#15 3 years ago

I’m going to just crack the switch stack and replace the skirt/cup switch with the original to test. Less soldering!

#16 3 years ago

your switch's shouldn't have anything to do with how strong the coil fires, just how long.
    If you said that jumping the coil to ground it fires good and strong, then you
    should have a grounding problem somewhere.
    Also isn't 35 volts low for the coils??
    I don't have a manual to check but I though they were 45volt coils.

#17 3 years ago

The latest is that returning to the old switch fixed the issue. Not sure why.

Wouldn’t a shorter coil firing time result in weak pop action anyway?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-super-sad-sluggish-bumpers-high-speed?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.