• Latest reply 77 days ago by 2manypins
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20160113_201056499_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Having some sound problems with my WW that I just can not fix and locate so far. i am missing some sounds during the game and there is no end of bonus sounds. When game is over, the end sounds are correct but just keep playing and looping. I have changed out the sound board with another refurbished board from k's arcade and put new sound roms in the cpu (2). The sound board roms were also changed (3). I have reconnected all connectors and tried different data cables but nothing changes.
Couple of questions: What exactly does the sound board overlay board do? this is the board right of the sound board and also could it be something else on the mpu? Thanks in advance for any advice.

#2 8 years ago

evening bump

#3 8 years ago

You can try replacing the cvsd chip on the main mpu. I had the speech sounds missing on my pinbot. That fixed it.

Also there are amp transistors and sound caps on the mpu board as well. Not located on the sound board.

System 11 machines get extra sounds from the sound board. Some come from the mpu roms and cvsd chip. And amplifiers and caps located there too.

Pic from my f-14 but pinbot has them in the same place too so should your whirlwind. Top left of the mpu C2, C3 U2 is the cvsd chip and there is a voltage regulating transistor attached to the heat sinc.

I would try replacing the caps there, then the transistor first.

IMG_20160113_201056499_(resized).jpgIMG_20160113_201056499_(resized).jpg

#5 8 years ago

Thanks for the input and suggestions. Will try.

8 years later
#6 3 months ago
Quoted from 2manypins:

Thanks for the input and suggestions. Will try.

I know this is an old thread but I have this same (very similar) problem. Even after replacing the sound roms, ribbon cables and installing a new cap kit on the sound board. Did repairing your sound overlay board fix your problem?

Here is what my game is doing/not doing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pinball/comments/1bydypz/whirlwind_is_missing_voice_call_outs_after_cap/

#7 3 months ago
Quoted from imnitguy:

I know this is an old thread but I have this same (very similar) problem. Even after replacing the sound roms, ribbon cables and installing a new cap kit on the sound board. Did repairing your sound overlay board fix your problem?
Here is what my game is doing/not doing:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pinball/comments/1bydypz/whirlwind_is_missing_voice_call_outs_after_cap/

Sound board issues can be tricky.

The single most common problem is ribbon cables, so I'm glad you have already looked at that.

System 11 boards (like yours) did some sounds on the CPU board, some on the sound board. Then to make things more complicated, they used the sound interface to drive coils through a 'sound overlay board', which intercepts the sound board commands.

I first verify where my sounds are coming from. Are they the sounds from the sound board, or the CPU board?

The pinwiki has a sound section that has a wav file that shows you what the sounds should be:

https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_System_9_-_11#System_11_Games_.28alphabetical.29

In order to help you, please go into sound test, and write down what sounds are there, and what sounds aren't.

After that we at least know which board to repair on!

3 weeks later
#8 77 days ago

I just replaced my board with a new one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
High Point, NC
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.