Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Resized_20170217_214404 (resized).jpeg
resistor (resized).jpg
oldwiring (resized).jpeg
toppf (resized).jpeg
underpf (resized).jpeg
solenoids (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grumpy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

can I correctly assume its not the driver?

Yes.

Quoted from PDX_Pinball:Do they go in a chain in numerical order?

No.

Quoted from Borygard:Ensure your Solenoid 12 driver (A/C select relay) is engaging.

It is because 3C and 4C are working.

Quoted from PDX_Pinball:I'm at a loss as to how to start troubleshooting

Just pick one to start with, put game in solenoid test and lock on a flasher that doesn't work. Check orange wire on flasher bulb socket for a pulsing 30 volts dc. Then check the other wire on the socket for voltage, no volts = bad bulb. If this is good then check for voltage at the resistor board for this bulb, wire from the bulb should be the same color on the resistor board. Check for voltage on both sides of the resistor. Voltage only on one side = bad resistor. No voltage at the resistor check for cracked header pins on the resistor board. If this is all good then the same colored wire goes to the aux power supply on J5. Check for cracked solder joints on the header pins. And lastly it goes thru the larger diodes D-31 thru D-46 on the aux power supply, a diode could have burnt open causing the bulb to not flash.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

I did have a blown j5 fuse on the aux power board

That fuse is for 50 volts coils, I think it is the left flipper coil. Most of the time a maladjusted EOS switch.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

Or do my dmm skills just suck?

I think there fine.

Quoted from PDX_Pinball:is it even possible to be getting 40v
I will check to see how this can happen.

Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

I was reading 40v on one side

Was this steady or did it pulse with the A/C relay as it should?

#8 7 years ago

For 5C ducks there are two bulbs on the p/f, can you take a pic showing both bulbs at the same time with a label on each so I can see if they are wired in parallel or series? Also did you rewire any thing with these bulbs?

#11 7 years ago

Bulbs sockets are in parallel as they should be. Did you have any of the boards out of the back box? Can you put the game in solenoid test and lock it on A/C relay, check the orange wire for dc volts again. Does it pulse or is it a steady voltage?

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

aux per supply is from pinballpcb.

Was this board in the game before the P/F swap? Are the jumpers W4 and W5 installed correctly.

#14 7 years ago

Disconnect J11 on the aux power supply. Turn on game and measure the voltage on J11 pin 1 and 4. Then check pin 9. What do you get?

#16 7 years ago

I can't find any pics of the resistor board for this game. Can you take one and post it?

#18 7 years ago

I don't know which connector with the black wires goes to the lamps. That being said you should disconnect both connectors with the black wires. Install a new bulb and retest it. The bulb should not work, but if you have pinched the wire somewhere and it grounded the lamp will light with out the dropping resistor and burn out quickly.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

What voltage should the orange wire have when not flashing? How about the black wire?

Orange wire comes from the A/C relay. When the relay is turned on power is supplied on the orange wire. Manual says 25 volts but is more like 36-37 volts. The orange wire is daisy chained to flashers 1c-8c. All other flashers are powered by a red wire and is always powered. The black wire then goes to the resistor board, thru a resistor and then to the cpu board where it is grounded by a TIP transistor.

Quoted from PDX_Pinball:it's like they are getting too much power (but not stuck on) making me wonder if the resistor board is the problem???

I have not seen a cement resistor drop in resistance before, but anything is possible. If the resistance drops the current flow thru the bulbs will go up and they will burn out.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

This is really odd if the flashers should have no power when not engaged???

The cpu energizes the A/C most of the time, some game the flashers turn on in attract mode.

Quoted from PDX_Pinball:The non-working flashers show 40v at the orange wire and nothing at the black.

Is this because the bulb filament is burnt out. Install a good bulb and you should have voltage on both wires.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

Is there anyway to know which resistor reduces the orange flash lamp power wire?

The resistor board is reducing the power from wire the black/color wire. So you were working on 5c flashers which is black/green wire. Look at the connectors on the flash board for the black/green wire, which pin is it. Remove the connector and check for continuity from this pin to the resistor leads on the board. Now you know which resistor it is, then check the resistance of this resistor and compare it to a working flasher circuit resistor.

Quoted from PDX_Pinball:can I do that with both leads attached to the board or do I have to remove the resistor?

Check the resistance which the connectors removed from the board.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

Since all of these black wires go thru different resistors I have a hard time beiieving they could all fail.

I agree. That's why you should check for cracked header pins on the connectors on the resistor board. Also measure the resistors on the resistor board and check for cracked solder joint on the resistor leads.

Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

Wait, I wasn't thinking clearly. When the A/C relay is on A, my orange wire has no power. When set to C, every flasher has the 40v which makes sense as it's in a chain. This orange wire is not CPU controlled, it's always 40v and either off (A side) or on (C side) as controlled by solenoid 12

Correct.

Quoted from PDX_Pinball:What activates the bulb is the black/color wire.

The Tip transistor on the CPU board. It grounds the black wire completing the circuit.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from PDX_Pinball:

4c, cats flasher was working until I accidentally grounded the black wire lug (with resistor board out), caused a spark, burned out bulb. Put board back in and a new bulb and now its not working

Check the fuse that powers the orange wire, it may have burnt also.

#33 7 years ago

On page 29 of the manual it has a diagram of the A/C relay and how it works in the game.

#35 7 years ago

Glad to help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grumpy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-solenoid-issues-cyclone?tu=grumpy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.