• Latest reply 1 year ago by vizzinni
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

I picked up an F-14 and discovered the upper diverter coil was fried (the sleeve had melted into a ball inside). I've replaced the coil but before I fire it up I'm looking into what may have caused it to fry.

Both the Q77 and Q76 transistors had been replaced by a previous owner. The U50 looks original.

Before pulling those two transistors out for testing, I decided to check other components in the circuit, and discovered that R102 was reading at about half of what the same resistor in the other solenoid circuits were reading (about 1k ohms rather than 2k; it's supposed to be a 2.7k ohm resistor).

I lifted one leg and it read over 2k. I replaced the resistor and and the new one also read about 1k in circuit.

Any ideas on why of the six similar circuits only this resistor would be behaving this way? Is it even relevant?

Since both transistors had been replaced before, I'm wondering if that's not the problem.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2 1 year ago

Diode test the Tip 122/102 and the 2n4401 transistors. Yes. They would have failed again if the transistors where changed before the shorted coil was found.

Also good chance the U50 is shorted as well since the coil melted. Huge amount of current flies backwards in the circuit once the coil starts pouring out smoke.

I am currently working on a board for a friend for thos same issue.

#3 1 year ago

Thanks. I just tested both transistors on the board and they were OK. How would I know if U50 was shorted?

#4 1 year ago

Measure each pin to pin 7 (ground) to see if you have a shorted pin.

I have always seen the IC shorted when a coil smokes.

#5 1 year ago

For the record, I never figured out whether the resistor readings were relevant....I replaced both transistors and the diverter is working again. To hedge my bets I've disconnected the 50v power and replaced it w/ 25v from the pop bumper, and am going to put a fuse in too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-11-solenoid-circuit-troubleshooting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.